Kodi 18.9 has now been officially released! This latest incremental update doesn‘t include major new features, but provides important fixes and improvements over 18.8.
In this detailed guide, we‘ll cover everything you need to know about the changes in 18.9, whether or not you should upgrade, and how to download and install on various platforms. Let‘s get started!
What‘s New in Kodi 18.9
While Kodi 18.9 is not a massive release, it does address some notable issues:
|Cloudflare workaround||Fixes problems accessing sites/services due to Cloudflare HTTP/2 changes|
|Memory leak fixes||Resolves TexturePacker leaks reported in #18034 and #18262|
|Event server fixes||Allows event server to send raw key strikes as reported in #18271|
|Navigation/directory fixes||Fixes directory and start folder bugs from #18254|
|MediaCodec rendering||Resolves MediaCodec OES/EGL issues per #18335|
You can reference the complete Kodi 18.9 changelog on GitHub for additional details on all fixes.
This release is really focused on addressing bugs and minor regression issues that cropped up after 18.8. There are no major new features or changes to be aware of.
Should You Upgrade to Kodi 18.9?
Whether or not you should update to Kodi 18.9 depends on if you‘re currently experiencing any of the specific issues fixed in this release.
For most users who have a smoothly working 18.8 (or earlier) install, upgrading is likely not necessary, as you may not notice huge differences.
However, if you are running into bugs or problems that 18.9 resolves, it is recommended to upgrade for a better experience.
Here are some signs that upgrading could help:
- Add-ons failing due to Cloudflare connectivity issues
- Kodi crashing or running slow due to memory leaks
- Problems with media playback, controllers, or remotes
- Issues with directories and navigation
If Kodi is currently stable for you on 18.8 or lower, stick with what‘s working. But if you are seeing the above problems, 18.9 may resolve those specific issues.
Should You Upgrade for Kodi 19 Matrix?
Kodi 19 Matrix is scheduled to release in 2022 as the next major version. Some users wonder if upgrading to 18.9 now makes sense to prepare for Matrix.
In general, you do not need to be on 18.9 for Matrix compatibility. The upgrade process directly from 18.8 and earlier versions to 19 should be smooth.
I‘d only recommend upgrading to 18.9 now if you want the specific fixes and improvements it offers. You can upgrade from lower versions directly to Matrix once 19 is released.
How Prevalent Is Kodi?
To understand whether upgrading to 18.9 is worthwhile for you, it helps to know how widely used Kodi is.
According to Statista, Kodi usage is estimated at:
- 17.6 million in the United States
- 5 million in the United Kingdom
- 4.1 million in Canada
- 3.5 million in France
- 2.7 million in Germany
Based on Kodi‘s download stats, the platform sees about:
- 150,000 downloads per day
- 5 million downloads per month
- 60 million downloads per year
This makes Kodi one of the most popular and widely-used media center apps globally across many platforms. The large user base helps ensure continued support, development, and add-on compatibility.
Tips for Diagnosing Issues to Determine If You Should Upgrade
If you‘re on the fence about whether to upgrade to 18.9, here are some tips for determining if you are being impacted by any of the fixed bugs:
- Check if add-ons are failing or unable to scrape metadata, as this could indicate Cloudflare problems
- Monitor system resource usage like RAM and CPU to check for possible memory leaks
- Ensure navigation and directories work as expected, especially adding/removing folders
- Test different media files and codecs to spot playback or rendering issues
- Connect various peripherals to check for input responsiveness and compatibility
Using these steps can help validate if upgrading will likely provide a better, smoother experience in your use case.
Security and Privacy Considerations for Kodi
When using Kodi, it‘s important to keep security and privacy in mind:
- Use a VPN to encrypt traffic and mask your IP address
- Enable password protection on sensitive apps/add-ons
- Be cautious with unfamiliar third-party add-ons and repos
- Disable universal plug and play (UPnP) to keep devices hidden
- Enable advancedsettings.xml tweaks like forced encryption
Taking these measures helps protect your identity, data, and devices when streaming. A premium VPN service like Surfshark is highly recommended for all Kodi users.
Useful Accessories and Hardware for Enhancing Kodi
Certain accessories can really optimize and complete the Kodi experience:
- 4K HDR HDMI cables – Ensures best quality video output to your TV
- Wireless keyboard – Makes navigation and input easier than remote
- Wireless mouse – Helps navigate apps and smaller interface elements
- Premium skins – Changes look and feel, highly customizable
- Powered USB hub – Powers more accessories without taxing device
- Antenna for OTA TV – Allows integrating and watching local channels
With the right accessories, you can build a powerful home theater setup centered around Kodi.
How to Download and Install Kodi 18.9
If you‘ve decided to upgrade, here are links and instructions for installing Kodi 18.9 across platforms:
Kodi on Windows
Downloading and installing 18.9 on Windows is straightforward:
- Download the 18.9 installer:
- Run the installer, choosing a clean install or upgrade
- Allow the installer to finish, Kodi will launch!
Your add-ons, settings, and library will be preserved when upgrading.
Kodi for macOS
Upgrading on macOS simply requires installing the new DMG package:
- Download kodi-18.9-Leia-x86_64.dmg
- Open the DMG, then drag the Kodi icon into your Apps folder to install
- Launch Kodi 18.9 from your Apps – your old settings and data remain intact!
Kodi on Linux
For Linux, use the following terminal commands:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install kodi
Follow the on-screen prompts to install 18.9 over your current version.
Installing Kodi on Android
For Android smartphones and tablets, upgrade via Google Play:
- Open the Play Store and go to the Kodi app
- Tap Update to download the new 18.9 version
- The update will install in the background – easy!
Alternatively, you can download the APK from Kodi.tv and sideload.
How to Get Kodi 18.9 on Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV
On Fire OS devices like the Fire Stick 4K and Fire TV Cube, use Downloader:
- Open Downloader and enter
- Install the APK once downloaded
- Or use the Troypoint App to install 18.9
You can also sideload the APK directly from Kodi‘s website.
Installing Kodi 18.9 on Raspberry Pi
On the Raspberry Pi, either build Kodi 18.9 from source or use the Raspberry Pi image:
Follow the official Raspberry Pi guide for complete instructions.
How to Get Kodi 18.9 on iPhone or iPad
For iOS devices, you‘ll need a jailbroken iPhone/iPad running at least iOS 12:
- Add the [[https://repo.yllier.net/](Kodi Repo)
- Search for Kodi 18.9 in your package manager
- Tap Install to download and upgrade
You can also sideload the IPA using Cydia Impactor. Detailed steps can be found on the Kodi wiki.
Final Thoughts on Kodi 18.9
In closing, Kodi 18.9 Leia delivers important fixes and improvements, though no major new features. Upgrading is primarily recommended if you are experiencing bugs and issues that 18.9 resolves.
For help determining if upgrading makes sense for you, follow the tips in this guide for diagnosing relevant problems.
I hope these detailed instructions and links for downloading and installing Kodi 18.9 on various devices are helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions!