With the rise of gaming platforms and the increased popularity of both Xbox and PlayStations, many gamers wonder if they can use an Xbox controller on a PlayStation 4 and 5. While the two consoles have distinct controllers, there are ways to use an Xbox controller on PlayStation; they provide a more comfortable and familiar gaming experience for Xbox users.
Types of Xbox Controllers
Here are the type of Xbox controllers that you can use on your PlayStation (4 and 5):
- The Duke: This is the original Xbox controller, commonly referred to as “the Duke,” it was the first controller released for the original Xbox console.
- Adaptive controller for Xbox: The Xbox Adaptive Controller is a specialized controller designed to cater to gamers with limited mobility. It features large programmable buttons and inputs, allowing for customization and accessibility.
- Controllers for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S: The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S controllers are the latest generation of Xbox controllers. They feature a similar design to the Xbox One controller but may offer additional features and improvements.
What Items Are Needed To Connect Xbox Controller on a Playstation (4 and 5)
To start the process of using an Xbox controller on a play station, you will require the following:
- Xbox Controller: You can use a wired Xbox controller or a wireless Xbox controller with a wireless adapter. If you have an Xbox One controller, it should work fine, but newer models like the Xbox Series X/S controller may offer additional features and compatibility.
- PlayStation Console: You need a PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console to connect the Xbox controller. Both consoles support this workaround, but the steps may differ slightly.
- Micro-USB Cable or Wireless Adapter: If you use a wired Xbox controller, you will require a micro-USB cable to connect the Xbox controller directly to the PlayStation 4 or 5. You should ensure the line is in good condition and capable of data transfer.
- Bluetooth Dongle (Xbox One Controller): If you have an Xbox controller, you can connect it wirelessly to the PlayStation console using a Bluetooth dongle. However, you may discover that not all Xbox One controllers are Bluetooth compatible.
- DualSense Controller: Depending on your setup and preferences, a DualSense controller, the official PlayStation 5 controller, may be helpful.
It’s worth noting that the Xbox Wireless Adapter is specifically designed for connecting Xbox controllers to a PC. However, using a cable, you can join the Xbox controller to a PlayStation console.
7 Steps On How To Use an Xbox Controller on Your PlayStation 4 and 5
Step 1: Connect the Xbox controller to your PlayStation using one end of the micro-USB cable. Then link the other end to an available USB port on your PlayStation console.
You can also connect the two devices wirelessly. For the wireless connection, plug the Xbox Wireless Adapter into an available USB port on your PlayStation. Turn on the Xbox by pressing the Xbox button firmly on the controller until it begins to flash. Proceed and enter pairing mode.
Step 2: Download and install DS4Windows; DS4Windows is a third-party software that allows your Xbox controller to be recognized as a DualShock 4 controller by the PlayStation. Once you’ve downloaded, run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install DS4Windows on your computer.
Step 3: Configure DS4Windows after installing DS4Windows, launch the application. During the initial setup, it will prompt you to choose a location to save profiles and configurations. You can either select the default location or choose a different one per your preference.
Once DS4Windows opens, you will see a small controller icon in the system tray. Right-click the icon and select “Settings” to open the DS4Windows settings window. In the Settings window, navigate to the “Controller/Driver Setup” tab. Check the box that says “Hide DS4 Controller” and press on “Apply” to save the changes done.
Step 4: Pair the Xbox controller with DS4Windows to connect your Xbox controller with DS4Windows. The sync button is usually located near the bumpers on the top of the controller. Hold it until the Xbox button starts flashing, indicating that the controller is in pairing mode.
In DS4Windows, click the “Controllers” tab in the main window and select “Bluetooth Pairing.” A new window will open, displaying the available controllers. Look for your Xbox controller in the list and click “Wireless Controller” to initiate the pairing process. Once the pairing is successful, the Xbox controller will be connected to DS4Windows.
Step 5: Connect the Xbox controller to the PlayStation console, then navigate to the “Settings” menu. There, select “Devices” and then choose Bluetooth Devices. Choose “Wireless Controller” from the list of available devices in the Bluetooth section.
The PlayStation will establish a connection with the Xbox controller, and the controller should now be connected to your PlayStation console.
Step 6: Adjust controller settings. To customize the button mappings and optimize compatibility, you can adjust the controller settings on your PlayStation console. Then proceed to the “Settings” menu; while there, select the “Accessibility” option and choose Button Assignments.
Proceed to remap the buttons on your Xbox controller to match the layout of a DualShock 4 controller.
Step 7: Please turn on your PlayStation console and ensure it recognizes the Xbox controller as a valid input device. Start playing with your newly connected Xbox controller.
Also, make sure you take some time to adjust to the button layout and feel of the Xbox controller if you’re accustomed to the PlayStation controller. With practice, you’ll seamlessly enjoy your favorite PlayStation games using the Xbox controller.
By following these detailed steps, you can successfully use an Xbox controller on your PlayStation console, which allows you to enjoy your games with your preferred controller. Remember that this workaround may not provide the same compatibility and functionality as a native PlayStation controller. But still, it offers a viable solution for those who prefer the Xbox controller’s feel and layout. Connecting any Xbox controller to your PS4 or PS5 is always an option. Some are more straightforward, but you can make it work with perseverance.