Have you ever wondered if you can change your location on Facebook Dating? Many users want to show a different location to find matches in other areas or keep their privacy.
The good news is you absolutely can change your Facebook Dating location. This guide will walk through the steps to update it directly in the app or use a VPN to alter it.
We‘ll also look at turning location on and off, troubleshooting issues, and using Facebook Dating safely. Let‘s dive in!
What is Facebook Dating and How Does Location Work?
For anyone new to Facebook Dating, it‘s a matchmaking service within the Facebook app. You create a separate dating profile and the app uses your location to recommend potential matches nearby.
As of 2022, Facebook Dating has around 30 million members globally. It‘s popular because it taps into your existing Facebook community for matches.
But here‘s the catch — Facebook Dating does not automatically update your location like Tinder or Bumble. Your dating location stays the same until you manually change it.
This means you need to update your location yourself when traveling or moving. Otherwise, the app thinks you‘re still in your old area!
Now let‘s look at how to update that important dating location setting.
Step-by-Step: Change Location in Facebook Dating App
Changing your location directly in the Facebook Dating app only takes a few taps:
- Open the Facebook app and tap the hamburger menu.
- Choose Dating to enter the dating section.
- Tap your profile icon in the top left.
- Select Dating Location.
- Enter your new location (you can also tap to enable location sharing for accuracy).
- Tap Save to confirm the change.
That‘s it! Facebook Dating will now show matches around your new dating location.
Tip: You can also set your Preferred Distance for matches up to 100 miles away.
Here‘s what the Dating Location screen looks like:
Now let‘s compare this to using a VPN.
Spoof Location with a VPN App
A VPN, or virtual private network, lets you bypass location restrictions by masking your real IP address. It essentially tricks apps into thinking you‘re in a different location than you really are.
Follow these steps to change your location with a VPN:
- Download a trusted VPN app like NordVPN or ExpressVPN.
- Log into your VPN account and connect to a server in your desired location.
- Make sure the VPN connection is activated.
- Open Facebook Dating, which will now show matches based on the VPN location.
Over 29% of internet users reported using a VPN in 2022, so it‘s a popular privacy tool.
Advantages of a VPN:
- Lets you match anywhere without constantly updating your location
- Keeps your true location hidden for more privacy
- Encrypts your internet traffic to protect your data
Downsides of a VPN:
- Can cause location mismatches in Facebook Dating
- Requires a paid subscription for the best features
- Additional setup and learning curve
So in summary, a VPN offers more privacy at the cost of potential technically headaches.
How to Turn Off Location in Facebook Dating
What if you want to stop sharing your location in Facebook Dating entirely? The steps differ by device:
- Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services.
- Turn off Location Services or select "Never" under Facebook.
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > App Permissions.
- Tap Location > Facebook.
- Select "Deny" or "Ask Every Time."
With location access disabled, Facebook Dating will show your most recent location but won‘t update it when you move. You can still message current matches.
5 Tips for Using Facebook Dating Safely
Meeting new people through online dating does come with risks. Here are 5 tips to use Facebook Dating more safely:
- Don‘t share personal details like address or work place in chats.
- Conduct video chats before meeting someone in person.
- Meet in a public place for the first few dates. Avoid going to their home.
- Tell friends when you‘re meeting someone and share your location.
- Use a Google Voice number instead of your real number.
Facebook Dating does have safety features like blocking and reporting tools. But staying vigilant about your privacy is always wise.
If your Facebook Dating location looks wrong or you get a mismatch error, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Manually change your dating location to match your current city.
- Confirm location access is enabled for Facebook in your device settings.
- Disable VPN if you use one to avoid mismatches.
- Log out and back in to refresh the app.
- Update Facebook app to eliminate any bugs.
- Contact Facebook support if issues persist.
Following these steps should get your location showing accurately again.
I hope this guide gave you a better understanding of how location works in Facebook Dating and how to update it. The ability to change your location gives you more control and privacy.
Just be thoughtful about sharing your location, use safety precautions when meeting matches, and troubleshoot any technical issues that pop up.
With the right location settings and safety measures, Facebook Dating can be an enjoyable way to meet people online. Have fun out there!