You can find many ways of connecting to the web, and most often, you tend to have devices explicitly connected for the use, such as the routers, modems, and switch that may come when you sign up for your connection.
However, not all these offer the best routing solution for computers. Once a company takes the money, they are happy to provide one point of connection, and from then it’s up to the home or business owner who need to sort out the best option.
Here you can find out if there are better devices out there than these related hardware devices. By the end, you will see if home network servers can be a router/ server combination you want to use or there is another solution any user will want to use for direct routing. (Read Why Does Avast Says My Router Is Not Configured Correctly?)
Can Windows Server Act as A Router?
It is possible to set up Windows Server (2016 in this example) as a NAT router option at this time. You will need to set a few things, such as the DNS host, at the time of your configuration, or the network won’t work.
Three things are needed:
- A DHCP server to provide IP addresses to related clients
- DNS server service to resolve names
- The server must have two NICs. One connected and configured to see the LAN, internal servers, and computers.
Second is connected to share access for the internet bound traffic.
One of the first steps is to rename network interfaces for identification.
Configure your NICs
- Open ‘Settings’
- Choose ‘Network & Internet’
- Select ‘Change adapter options’
- From ‘Network Connections,’ rename the LAN connection and the WAN connection.
- Your LAN adapter needs a static address, while the WAN adapter needs setting to DHCP.
- Right -click on the LAN adapter and select ‘Properties.’
- Highlight ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and select ‘Properties.’
- Setup IP address settings to match network configuration and press OK.
- Add ‘Remote Access’ to the server
- Open Server Manager and select ‘Add roles and features.’
- Press ‘Next’ and select ‘Remote Access’ role and press ‘Next.’
- Press ‘Next’ at the following screen.
- Press ‘Next’ and select ‘Routing’ and then Click ‘Add Features.’
- Carry on pressing ‘Next.’
- Press ‘Install’ at the confirmation screen.
Configure your ‘NAT router’
- Once the installation finishes, open the ‘Routing and Remote Access’ console.
- Press ‘Start’ and in ‘Windows Administrative Tools’ locate ‘Routing and Remote Access.’
- Right -click on the server name, then select ‘Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access.’
- Press ‘Next’ on the welcome screen.
- Select ‘Network address translation (NAT)’ and press ‘Next.’
- Click on your WAN adapter and press ‘Next.’
- Press ‘Finish’and then Expand the IPv4 node. Select ‘NAT,’ and now packets should be translated.
Is a Modem the Same as a Server?
A router is a network device that routes data packets from one network of computers to another.
A modem refers to a device used to convert signals, for instance, between the digital signals from a computer and an analog telephone line signal. A server refers to a computer that manages access to centralized resources and services on a network.
Can I Use My Own Wi-Fi Router?
If you have an internet connection, one of the most commonly asked questions is, can I use my own Wi-Fi router and switch rather than the ones supplied?
Generally speaking, any should work, but make sure they are no different. Much of the traffic will be very similar, yet you can’t easily use an ADSL router in place of a broadband router if they are an all in one unit. (Read Best VPN for Remote Working and Freelancers)
Older connections had a modem and a router. Thus, the modem for the network vs server for the LAN would connect to your switch configuration. You are free to use any compatible router to share a broadband connection and networks.
Such a device can add any client as well as servers for routing across your networks. The difference being the Windows server is built to connect with remote servers.
It also deals with a large number of Windows client computers accessing the web and networks. You can also see a remote worker accesses a site through servers to access internal networks and locate the data they want. All they need to do is sign in using the right details.
Using a wireless router from your internet service provider makes it easier for client help and support. You may lack features, yet any question of trouble is all on your provider.
Your ISP’s support site page could have information on their stance and advice and help on new different compatible routers you may like to use on your networks.
When you have routers for servers, your network computer won’t see these and will just have software for connection to the server. This allows you to access any data or information on the server or services on the network.
The question is, how you do this securely from a remote site or home. A VPN is the answer.
You can connect any computer to a VPN that has the need for a secure connection when you wish to access company services.
Similarly, the first class VPN services can help you connect to any set option you like safely. Even sending an email will be done so no one else can read the contents.
Doing this is easier than you know, and the only question is which VPN option will be the best option. Once you know which one you need, you will find nothing but benefits and install it on your router, and every device connection will be secure.