Outdated drivers causing your computer to freeze or act up? Before you download any quick-fix driver update utilities, let‘s take a closer look at one popular option – WinZip Driver Updater. Can this software be trusted to update your drivers safely? Or could it potentially open up your system to security risks?
In this comprehensive guide, we‘ll give you an objective breakdown of WinZip Driver Updater – what it does, how it works, whether it‘s safe, and steps to remove it if unwanted. Let‘s dive in and uncover the facts you need to make an informed decision about this driver utility.
A Quick Look at WinZip Driver Updater
WinZip Driver Updater is a program offered by software company WinZip Computing that claims to scan your computer and identify outdated or missing drivers. It then promises to update all those drivers to the latest versions in just a few clicks.
The software targets users dealing with system crashes, printer errors, connection issues or slow performance that could be related to outdated drivers. By offering an automated one-stop solution, WinZip Driver Updater appears attractive to those seeking a quick fix.
However, cybersecurity experts have raised numerous red flags about potential risks of using this utility. Let‘s analyze these risks before you choose to install.
Is WinZip Driver Updater Safe to Install? Expert Insights
According to cybersecurity researchers, WinZip Driver Updater exhibits some concerning behaviors that users should be aware of:
- Exaggerated claims. Analysis shows the app frequently makes exaggerated claims about the number of outdated or problematic drivers detected, even on brand new devices. This appears aimed at pressuring users into purchasing premium upgrades.
- Unnecessary purchases. Security experts note most driver updates are delivered seamlessly through operating system updates. Additional paid driver utilities generally provide little to no benefit.
- Bundled downloads. WinZip Driver Updater is often bundled with other unknown software or potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that get installed without the user‘s consent. These may include actual malware.
- Privacy concerns. Some experts warn the app may access private data for tracking or ad targeting without permission. Users have little visibility into what gets collected.
- Reputational issues. WinZip Driver Updater is classified as a PUP or potentially unwanted program by many malware researchers and antivirus vendors who detect questionable behavior.
For these reasons, experts nearly unanimously recommend avoiding installation of WinZip Driver Updater, as it poses multiple security risks. But if you already have it, removing it quickly is advised.
Step-by-Step Guide to Removing WinZip Driver Updater
If you have WinZip Driver Updater on your computer currently and want it gone, here is a simple uninstall guide for both Windows and Mac:
Removing from Windows:
- Open your Control Panel and click Programs and Features.
- Find and select WinZip Driver Updater in the list of installed programs.
- Click Uninstall and confirm removal on the popup.
- Restart your computer to fully complete the uninstall.
Removing from Mac:
- Go to Finder > Applications.
- Locate and drag the WinZip Driver Updater to your Trash.
- Right-click on Trash and select Empty Trash.
- Restart your Mac.
This will get rid of the core WinZip Driver Updater program. But some associated files may still lurk, which leads us to a critical next step…
Scanning for Malware and Leftover Traces
Due to the common practice of bundling additional software with the main installer, WinZip Driver Updater may leave behind unwanted programs or actual malware.
Here are some suspicious behaviors that could indicate malware:
- Sudden system slowdowns or crashes
- Pricey pop-up ads when browsing
- Programs running you don‘t remember opening
- Unusual activity in online accounts
If you notice any shady behavior, run a Full System Scan using reputable antivirus software like Norton or Malwarebytes. This will detect malicious programs so you can fully delete them.
It‘s also wise to periodically scan your system going forward to catch any new malware early before it causes harm. Stick to official app stores and carefully read permissions before downloading anything new.
Safely Keeping Your Drivers Up-to-Date
Now that you‘ve erased WinZip Driver Updater and any lingering malware, you may still need to update some legitimate drivers. Here are tips to safely keep drivers current:
- Let Windows handle it. Windows Updates will automatically install most critical driver updates for you. Checking periodically for new updates is sufficient for most users.
- Lean on manufacturers. Device manufacturers like printer companies also provide drivers through their websites. Look up your devices to find official drivers from the source.
- Update selectively. Avoid broad driver updaters that make far-reaching changes across your system. Target only drivers related to a specific issue.
- Watch for signs. Indicators like hardware malfunctions, connection issues and error messages typically signify a driver needing an update.
With the right awareness, you can keep your drivers updated without risking your security. Avoid falling into the trap of panicked downloads from unreliable sources.
The Bottom Line
Promising a quick fix for driver issues, WinZip Driver Updater hopes to lure in users. But is it really providing any benefit? Cybersecurity experts resoundingly flag this utility as more harmful than helpful. Not only is it unnecessary, but it may open up your system to malware or privacy risks.
Following the steps outlined here will safely remove WinZip Driver Updater and any bundled software from your computer. With vigilance and proper tools, you can then keep your drivers up-to-date without any unwanted programs slipping in.
Now you have the facts to make truly informed decisions about the driver utilities you allow on your system. Here‘s to smooth computer performance without needless security risks! Stay safe out there.