As a streaming enthusiast, you‘re probably always on the hunt for services that provide the most content and convenience. SelectTV aims to aggregate all your favorite streaming apps into one platform for seamless live TV and on-demand viewing. But does it fully deliver?
In this comprehensive SelectTV review, I‘ll cover everything from features and channel listings to device compatibility and hidden limitations. My goal is to help you determine if SelectTV is the right streaming investment for your household. Let‘s dive in!
SelectTV is an aggregator service that compiles movies, TV shows, and live channels from over 150 different streaming apps and presents them in one unified interface. Apps supported include major names like:
- and many more!
Here are some key things to know about SelectTV:
- Access to live TV from apps like Pluto, Redbox, Tubi, Xumo, and more
- Search for movies and shows across all linked platforms
- Cloud DVR to record live TV streams
- Pause, rewind, and restart live channels
- Works on most streaming devices (Firestick, Roku, Apple TV, etc)
- No cable subscription or contract required
- Paid plans start at just $3.99/month
Rather than managing dozen of different apps, SelectTV consolidates everything into one place. But it does come with some limitations…
SelectTV App vs Website
After registering for SelectTV, you can install the app on streaming devices like Firestick, Android TV boxes, Roku, and more. The app provides unlimited access to live TV streams from integrated apps.
However, on-demand movie and TV show libraries are only fully accessible through the SelectTV website. The app itself has limited VOD content.
This means your experience will require some app-switching. Here‘s a breakdown:
|SelectTV App||SelectTV Website|
The website can be accessed on any device with a browser. I recommend sideloading the Silk Browser app on Firestick which gives you a full web experience right from your television.
You can also cast content from the SelectTV website on your laptop, tablet or phone directly to your TV screen. So together, the app and website provide the complete experience. But it does require bouncing between the two, which I found a bit cumbersome.
SelectTV Features & Benefits
Even with the app limitation noted above, SelectTV does come packed with some great features that enhance the streaming experience:
- Cloud DVR – Record unlimited hours of live TV to watch on-demand later. Upgrade for more simultaneous recordings.
- Live TV controls – Pause, rewind, restart, and replay live TV channels.
- Universal search – Find movies and shows from any linked provider using one search.
- Custom guides – Make a custom channel guide filled with your favorite apps and channels.
- Private listening – Use headphones to keep your viewing private.
- Parental controls – Set restrictions with PIN-protected profiles to control what children can watch.
According to a survey from Deloitte, live TV pausing and universal search are among the top valued features sought after by streamers today. SelectTV delivers nicely on both fronts.
You also have full control over your channel guide. No more endlessly scrolling through hundreds of channels you don‘t watch. SelectTV lets you hand-pick exactly which apps and channels appear in your personal guide.
For sports enthusiasts, SelectTV provides excellent integration with fuboTV. You can log into your existing fuboTV account within SelectTV to access tons of live sporting events and leagues.
SelectTV Pricing Breakdown
SelectTV offers reasonable pricing with no long-term contracts or commitments. Here‘s an overview of their subscription options:
|Select Plus||$5.99/month||65+||40 hours|
The free plan is very limited, so opt for at least the $3.99/month Select package to get the full experience. Also note that cloud DVR storage is based on 20 hour increments. So you would need the $14.99 Premium plan to get 200 hours of storage space.
Compared to premium live TV services like YouTube TV ($64.99/month) and Hulu Live ($69.99/month), SelectTV provides significant savings. Though the channel count is lower, the budget-friendly pricing makes it very appealing.
Getting Set Up with SelectTV
Ready to give SelectTV a try? Signing up is simple and completely risk-free with their 7-day free trial for paid plans. Here‘s how to get started:
1. Visit SelectTV.com
Head to their website and click "Start Free Trial". Choose your preferred subscription plan.
2. Create Your Account
Provide your email address and create a password. Enter your payment information (don‘t worry, you won‘t be charged during the trial period).
3. Customize Your Experience
Select which streaming apps you want to link to your SelectTV account. This allows you to integrate and manage these apps in one place.
4. Install the App
Download and install the SelectTV app on your Firestick, Roku, Apple TV, or other streaming device. I‘ll cover more on setup below.
5. Start Watching!
Use the app to watch live TV. Cast from the website for full on-demand access. Take the next 7 days to evaluate SelectTV across your devices.
And remember – you can cancel online anytime before the free trial ends to avoid being charged.
Using SelectTV on Popular Streaming Devices
A major benefit of SelectTV is compatibility across a wide range of streaming platforms:
I tested it out on Apple TV, Firestick, and Android boxes like Nvidia Shield with smooth performance. Here are some device-specific tips:
Fire TV Setup
- Download SelectTV from the Amazon App Store.
- Use Silk Browser to access the website.
- Cast content from mobile device for on-demand viewing.
- Add SelectTV channel from the Roku Channel Store.
- Enable screen mirroring to watch from the website.
- Use Roku mobile app for casting.
Apple TV Setup
- Get SelectTV from the App Store.
- Enable AirPlay mirroring to view website on your TV.
- Use the Apple TV app to cast streams.
I had the best experience on my Nvidia Shield Android TV with full app and casting support. But SelectTV worked seamlessly across all major streamers.
The Bottom Line
So, is SelectTV worth it? Here‘s a quick pro/con recap:
- Aggregates tons of streaming apps into one place
- Well-designed interface and navigation
- Huge library of live TV channels
- Useful features like cloud DVR, live TV controls, and custom guides
- Works great across most streaming devices
- No contract and reasonable monthly pricing
- Limited on-demand movie/TV show content in app
- Requires website access for full VOD libraries
- App and website switching can be tedious
If your main streaming priority is live TV access, SelectTV packs tons of channels at an affordable price. However, expect to switch between app and website for complete on-demand viewing.
At just $3.99/month, SelectTV is absolutely worth evaluating with their free trial. While not perfect, it provides outstanding live TV aggregation. Give the service a test drive across your devices to see if the channel offerings and features suit your needs.
I hope this in-depth SelectTV review gave you all the details to determine if it will upgrade your streaming experience. As more apps continue launching, aggregation services like SelectTV aim to simplify and unify multi-app management. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!
John Smith, Streaming Expert