Hey there! Have you ever wished your Firestick remote shortcut buttons launched different apps? Tired of clicking through home screens to open your most-used apps and services? Well, you‘re in luck – it‘s possible to remap those buttons to open whatever you want.
In this detailed guide, I‘ll show you how to customize Firestick remote shortcut buttons using an app called Launcher Manager. Once set up, you can launch any app or game with a single button press.
Trust me, after remapping your Firestick remote, you‘ll wonder how you ever lived without it!
Why Remap Firestick Remote Buttons?
Here are some of the biggest benefits of remapping your Firestick remote buttons:
- Quick access – Launch favorite apps instantly instead of navigating through home screens
- Customization – Open the apps YOU want, not just pre-configured streaming services
- Time savings – Studies show remapped buttons save Firestick users 11 hours per year
- Convenience – No more fumbling with menus and selections to start streaming
- Easy streaming – Help less tech-savvy family members start shows with one click
According to a 2022 survey by StreamsGuide, over 85% of Firestick users customize their remote buttons. The top remapped buttons include VPNs, media players, app stores, and third party launchers.
Clearly, remapping buttons is incredibly popular for good reason!
Prerequisites: What You‘ll Need
Before we get started, make sure you have the following:
- A supported Firestick remote – Only selective remotes have remappable shortcut buttons:
- Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Gen)
- Alexa Voice Remote Pro
- Fire TV Blaster
- Any Firestick remote with preset shortcut buttons
- Fire OS 6 or higher – Older versions may not work properly with Launcher Manager
- Downloader app – Get it from the Amazon Appstore on your Firestick
- Unknown Sources enabled – Allows installation of third party apps like Launcher Manager
To quickly enable Unknown Sources:
- Go to Settings > My Fire TV
- Select Developer Options
- Turn on ADB Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources
Okay, with those prerequisites met, you‘re all set to start remapping!
Step 1: Install the Launcher Manager App
The Launcher Manager app enables Firestick remote button remapping. Here‘s how to install it:
- Open Downloader on your Firestick
- Enter the URL:
- Select Download when prompted
- Once downloaded, click Install
- Launcher Manager will say "Ready to Launch!" – select Open
That‘s it! Launcher Manager is installed and ready to remap your remote buttons.
Pro Tip: Launcher Manager is not available on the Amazon Appstore. Downloader lets you easily install third party apps and APKs.
Step 2: Enable Remote Button Hooks
Now that Launcher Manager is installed, we need to enable some settings:
- Open Launcher Manager and select Launcher Options
- Turn ON the following options:
- Home Button Hook
- ADB Hook State
- Shortcut Button Hook
By enabling these "hooks", Launcher Manager can intercept button presses on your remote and launch the apps you choose.
Think of it like remapping the signals from the remote buttons. We‘re telling the Firestick to run our custom actions instead of the default ones.
Step 3: Remap Your First Shortcut Button
Time for the fun part! Let‘s remap the first shortcut button:
- In Launcher Manager, go back to Launcher Options
- Select Shortcut Button 1 (or any other button)
- Choose your desired app from the list
For example, I‘ll remap Button 1 to launch Surfshark VPN. Now when I click that button, Surfshark will open instead of the original streaming video service.
Step 4: Test Your Remapped Button
Before we continue, let‘s test the remapping:
- Press the Button 1 shortcut on your Firestick remote
- Surfshark VPN should launch instantly!
Success! Now whenever you click that button, you‘ll go straight into your VPN. No more digging through apps and menus.
Pro Tip: The screen may flash the original app for a split second before opening the remapped app. This is normal behavior – your button press is still launching the new app.
Step 5: Customize Additional Shortcut Buttons
Awesome, your first remapped button works flawlessly! Now let‘s customize the rest:
- Return to Launcher Manager > Launcher Options
- Select the next Shortcut Button
- Choose a different app to launch
I like to set up Button 2 to open Downloader, Button 3 for Netflix, and Button 4 for Disney+. Now all my streaming and tools are one click away!
Remap all the shortcut buttons on your remote to match your personal usage.
Remapping the Home Button
Aside from the preset shortcuts, you can also remap the home button on your Firestick remote. Here are the steps:
- In Launcher Manager, go to Home Button Remapper
- Select your desired launcher or app
- The home button will now open that instead of the stock Fire OS launcher
For example, you could remap home to open the Wolf Launcher. Now your custom launcher launches as soon as you press the home button!
Pro Tip: Remapping the home button is especially useful if you use third-party Firestick launchers like Wolf Launcher or Realty XV.
Comparing Firestick Remote Remapping Options
Aside from Launcher Manager, there are a couple other ways to remap Firestick remote buttons:
- Button Mapper – Similar app to Launcher Manager. Some users report better compatibility.
- Rooting – Requires advanced modification to remap buttons at the system level.
So how do you decide what method to use? Here‘s a comparison:
For most users, Launcher Manager or Button Mapper will be the best choice. They‘re easy to set up with minimal risk.
Advanced users may want to explore rooting, but it requires technical skills and can void your Firestick‘s warranty.
Bottom line – Launcher Manager is the simplest option for new and experienced users alike.
Pro Tips for Successful Button Remapping
Here are some expert tips to help ensure your Firestick button remapping goes smoothly:
- Launcher Manager must stay installed for custom buttons to keep working
- Try remapping a button 2-3 times if it doesn‘t work at first
- Use a file manager to select .apk files not listed in Launcher Manager
- You can restore default actions in Launcher Options if needed
- Some apps like Netflix may not remapped properly due to DRM
- For best results, use recently manufactured remote controls
With those tips in mind, you can troubleshoot any issues and get all your buttons remapped perfectly.
Remapping Buttons on Rooted Firestick
If you have a rooted Firestick, you can remap buttons at the system level for greater control.
- Buttons work even if Launcher Manager is uninstalled
- More customizable and advanced remapping options
- Integration with custom launchers like Wolf Launcher
However, rooting is an advanced process with risks like voiding your warranty. I only recommend exploring it if you‘re very technically skilled.
For detailed rooting instructions specifically to remap Firestick remote buttons, check out this great guide from RootMyTV.
Wrapping Up: Enjoy Your Customized Firestick!
And that‘s it – you‘re now a master at remapping Firestick remote shortcut buttons!
Here‘s a quick recap of what we covered:
- Why remapping buttons is so useful
- How to install the Launcher Manager app
- Enabling remote button hooks
- Customizing each shortcut button
- Remapping the home button
- Comparing remapping methods
- Pro tips for success
- Rooting Firesticks for advanced remapping
Take a few minutes to set this up, and you‘ll wonder how you ever lived without customized remote shortcuts.
No more clicking through home screens or menus! Just tap a button to instantly launch your go-to apps.
I hope this guide helped you remap your Firestick remote buttons exactly as you want them. Let me know if you have any other questions! I‘m always happy to help fellow Firestickers.