So you‘re thinking about canceling your Proton VPN subscription? Don‘t worry, you‘re not alone. Many people decide to switch VPN providers for all sorts of reasons. Luckily, canceling Proton VPN is a pretty straightforward process.
In this comprehensive guide, we‘ll walk you through everything you need to know about canceling Proton VPN and getting a refund, including:
- How Proton VPN‘s refund policy works
- Step-by-step instructions for cancellation
- Tips for getting refunds from app stores
- The best Proton VPN alternatives
- FAQs about account cancellation
Let‘s start by looking at Proton‘s money-back guarantee and under what circumstances you can get a full refund.
How Proton VPN‘s Refund Policy Works
Proton VPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all paid plans. This means you have 30 days from the date of purchase to request a full refund.
According to Proton‘s Terms and Conditions, refunds can only be requested once per user. The refund will be issued in the original currency and payment method used.
The 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
If you request a refund within the 30-day window, Proton VPN is obligated to provide a full refund. It‘s that simple.
To be eligible for the money-back guarantee refund:
- You must cancel your subscription and request a refund within 30 days of initial purchase.
- Refunds are only available for payments made directly through Proton VPN (not via app stores).
- You can only request a refund once per Proton VPN account.
According to a 2021 survey from SafetyDetectives, 76% of people said a money-back guarantee was important when choosing a VPN. Proton‘s 30-day refund policy gives users a risk-free way to try out the service.
After 30 Days
Here‘s where things get a little tricky. Proton‘s Terms state the service is "generally non-refundable" after 30 days.
Any refund or credit given after the initial 30-day period is at Proton‘s sole discretion. The company may choose to issue credits instead of a cash refund in these cases.
While Proton isn‘t obligated to provide a refund, it doesn‘t hurt to politely ask! You may get lucky if you have a compelling reason or run into financial hardship.
According to SafetyDetectives‘ survey, 48% of people requested a refund from a VPN provider at some point. Of those who asked, 73% did end up receiving their money back.
So don‘t lose hope if you missed the 30-day window. Just know that Proton has the final say.
Step-by-Step Guide to Canceling Proton VPN
Ready to cancel? Here are step-by-step instructions for canceling your paid Proton VPN subscription:
On the Proton VPN Website
Option 1: Outside the 30-day refund period
This method will downgrade you to the free plan. Note that downgrading could affect access to Proton services like encrypted email.
- Login to your Proton VPN account.
- Under the Dashboard, click on "Billing".
- Select "Downgrade Account" and follow the prompts to change to a free plan.
- You may receive Proton account credits instead of a cash refund. You can try contacting support to request a refund of credits.
Option 2: Within the 30-day refund period
- Use this form to request a refund directly.
- Make sure to submit the request within 30 days of your initial purchase date.
- You can also email refund requests to [email protected].
Using iOS and Android Apps
Did you sign up for Proton VPN through the App Store or Google Play? You‘ll need to request the refund directly from them.
Here are the steps:
For iOS App Store Purchases:
- Open the Settings app then tap your Apple ID name.
- Choose Subscriptions.
- Select your Proton VPN subscription.
- Tap Cancel Subscription to issue a refund.
Note: iOS refunds must be requested within 3 days if monthly or 30 days if annual.
For Google Play Purchases:
- Visit Google Play‘s refund page and sign into your account.
- Choose the Proton VPN subscription purchase you want refunded.
- Follow the steps to complete the refund request form.
Note: Google Play only refunds if requested within 2 hours or 48 hours based on factors like past refunds.
Getting Refunds from Third-Party App Stores
If you subscribed to Proton VPN through another app store like Amazon or Samsung Galaxy Store, you‘ll need to request the refund directly through their platform as well.
Policies vary, but here are some tips for getting app store refunds approved:
- Act quickly – There is usually a short window (24-48 hours) to qualify for a refund.
- Be polite and honest – Clearly explain why you are unsatisfied with the subscription.
- Check purchase history – Locate the exact transaction details to provide for the request.
- Follow up – If your request gets denied at first, politely respond and re-submit.
While app store refunds can be trickier, it never hurts to ask!
Before You Cancel: Check Usage and Subscription Details
Before going through the cancellation process, it‘s a good idea to review your Proton VPN subscription details and usage.
You can find subscription info by:
- Tapping the menu icon in the Proton VPN app.
- Going to Account > Manage Account.
This will show your current plan, renewal date, and payment details.
You can also check your recent usage by going to Account > Usage, which will display data amounts used over time.
Reviewing this info can help you:
- Determine if a different Proton VPN plan (like monthly vs. yearly) makes more sense for your needs.
- See if you should downgrade or upgrade your account.
- Decide if you should request a refund or remain a Proton customer.
Having all the facts helps make an informed cancellation decision.
3 Best Proton VPN Alternatives
Maybe after reviewing your usage you‘ve decided Proton VPN just isn‘t the right fit. No worries, you‘ve still got great VPN options!
Here are three top-rated alternatives to consider that offer similar security and privacy:
With 3,000+ global servers in 94 countries, ExpressVPN is one of the most popular VPN choices. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Blazing fast speeds for streaming and browsing.
- Strict no-logging policy to protect privacy.
- Works reliably for accessing blocked content and sites.
- Allows split-tunneling to customize which traffic is encrypted.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- On the pricier side for a VPN.
- No free plan available.
- Limited to 5 simultaneous connections.
NordVPN has over 5,500 servers worldwide and is known for robust security features.
- Double encryption through NordLynx protocol.
- Malware and ad blocking tools.
- Ability to connect 6 devices simultaneously.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Speeds can be slower than other VPNs.
- The mobile app is not as user-friendly.
- No free plan offered.
For an affordable VPN option with unlimited device connections, Surfshark is a great choice.
- Allows an unlimited number of connected devices.
- Includes anti-malware, ad blocking, and tracker blocking.
- Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very budget-friendly for the features.
- Smaller server network than some competitors.
- Doesn‘t offer a free subscription tier.
- Located outside privacy-friendly countries.
Take some time to research which alternative VPN lines up with your needs and budget. And don‘t forget to check for a money-back guarantee so you can test it out risk-free.
FAQs About Canceling Proton VPN
We‘ve covered a lot so far! To wrap up, here are answers to some frequently asked questions about canceling Proton VPN:
Can I get a prorated or partial refund for unused time?
Unfortunately, Proton VPN does not issue prorated refunds. You are only eligible for a full refund within the 30-day money-back period.
What happens to my account when I cancel?
Your ProtonVPN subscription will immediately end. You will revert to the free version with limited data usage and speeds. Other Proton services associated with your account will not be affected.
Can I keep my ProtonMail email if I cancel ProtonVPN?
Yes, canceling ProtonVPN will not close your ProtonMail account. You can continue using your ProtonMail email address. However, downgrading from a paid to free ProtonVPN plan could impact your ProtonMail storage limits.
How long does it take to receive my refund?
ProtonVPN processes refunds within 14 days in most cases. Refunds are issued using the original payment method.
Can I get a refund for multi-year subscription plans?
You can request a refund within 30 days for any ProtonVPN subscription length. This includes multi-year plans like 2-year subscriptions.
What if my subscription renewed, can I still get a refund?
As long as your renewal occurred within the last 30 days, you can cancel and request a refund, even if it already renewed automatically.
The Bottom Line
We hope this guide gave you a better understanding of how to cancel ProtonVPN and request a refund smoothly. The most effortless refunds come from canceling within 30 days and contacting Proton directly.
While not always guaranteed, refunds are still possible by politely reaching out to Proton support even outside the 30-day window.
Before making the decision to cancel, be sure to review your account usage details and explore alternate VPN subscription models that could better suit your needs. ProtonVPN may end up being your ideal provider after all!
But if you do decide to switch, industry-leading options like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark are all solid alternatives worth considering.