Blu-ray discs employ several DRM mechanisms, such as AACS and BD+. A media player such as VLC requires libaacs.dll and keyDB.cfg libraries for blu-ray playback. These library files are necessary to bypass the AACS and BD+ protection.
Without these, it cannot access the encrypted data on the disc and thus displays the blu-ray disc needs a library for AACS decoding error message. The 2.0 and later version of VLC Media Player could now play back Blu-ray media files with some extra plugins installed. However, for legal reasons, AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys still are not shipped to the VLC media player.
That means only Blu-ray disc with AACS libraries exposed is supported. Therefore, sometimes you will be prompted with notes like “No valid processing key found in AACS config file” from the VLC media player when you try to play certain Blu-ray discs. In this guide, we would like to introduce you to solutions to fix the “No valid processing key found in AACS config file” error. (Read Different Types Of Encryptions)
Why Doesn’t VLC Have Known AACS Keys By Default?
VLC media player has the most extensive following of any open-source media player worldwide.
It can be found on many operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. The VLC media player can play most multimedia files, DVDs, CDs, VCDs, and streaming protocols.
Blu-ray Discs contain many DRM technologies such as AACS and BD+. For blu-ray playback, media players like VLC need libaacs.dll and keyDB.cfg libraries in place to bypass the AACS and BD+ security.
If your device doesn’t have these, it can’t access any encrypted disc data and displays the error message “blu-ray disc needs a library for AACS decoding.”
With plugins added, VLC Player 2.0 can later access the AACS keys database and play back Blu-ray media files.
However, AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys are not packed into a VLC installation because of legal considerations.
Therefore, only Blu-ray discs with exposed AACS libraries are supported. As a result, occasionally VLC media player will prompt you with messages like the blu ray error: “No valid processing key found in AACS config file” when you try to play particular Blu-ray discs.
In our guide, you can learn more about fixing the AACS decoding error, so you can launch VLC to play blu rays without an issue.
By the end, you’ll know how to install Libaacs VLC keys to your device, and then you can watch all the Blu-Ray movies you want. (Read Can A Server Act As A Router)
How To Fix No Valid Processing Key Found In AACS Config File
Both Windows users and Mac users can follow these steps.
The VLC media player can play Blu-ray discs with AACS safeguards when installing specific plugins or processing keys.
The way things work depends on the computer systems.
Here are the steps you need to resolve the “No valid processing key found in AACS config file” error on Windows and Mac computers.
For Windows Users:
- Visit videolan.org, download the latest version of VLC for your system, install it, and launch it.
- To download the AACS DYNAMIC LIBRARY and the KEYS DATABASE (KEYDB.cfg), visit https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmyname/. (libaacs.dll for Windows or libaacs.dylib for Mac).
- Go to the C:\Users\ [your username]\ AppData directory and open your user folder.
- To view hidden files and folders, choose “show hidden files…” from the Folder Options – View menu, then select the “OK” button.
- Open your “AppData” directory or make a new folder with the name “AACS.”
- Move or copy the downloaded KEYDB.cfg file into this folder directly.
- Head over to “C:\Program Files” if using 64bit Windows. Use C:\Program Files (x86)” if using 32-bit Windows.
- Move the libaacs.dll file into the “VLC” directory by navigating there.
Now that you have the corresponding AACS keys installed, you can play Blu-rays on VLC media player.
For Mac Users:
Download and install the VLC media player, and download the Keys DATABASE and AACS DYNAMIC LIBRARY like the above steps.
Put the Keys DATABASE file into ~/Library/Preferences/aacs/ (If you don’t have the folder, you’ll have to create it).
Right-click on VLC and select “Show package contents.” Put the AACS Dynamic Library file in Contents/MacOS/lib/
Now, you can play your Blu-rays with AACS on your Mac using a VLC media player.
Note: The VLC media player does not yet support the disc menu on Windows and Mac computers. Therefore, the title to play must manually select title after you open disc drawer of your DVD drive and insert your disc.
What Happens If I Can’t Fix Blu-ray Issues of VLC Media Player
What should you do if the VLC media player gives you the error message “No valid processing file detected in aacs config file”? We have gathered two reasonable solutions for you here:
Solution 1: Stop AACS Protection With Leawo Blu-ray Ripper
You can decrypt, rip, and convert Blu-ray movies from disc, folder, and ISO image file using Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, a professional Blu-ray ripping and converting application.
Leawo Blu-ray Ripper includes the most recent and sophisticated disc decrypting technology. You can decrypt and rip Blu-ray discs with AACS, BD+, and most other protection.
As a result, you can watch Blu-ray discs with all of these disc safeguards without any restrictions using any media player, such as VLC, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, etc. (Read What Dashboard Provides Information On CPU Memory And HDD Utilization In Percentage)
Here’s how to rip and convert Blu-ray discs with AACS protection to videos for playback on VLC media player.
Add Blu-ray disc Sources
- Click “Blu-ray Ripper” to access the main screen after downloading the Leawo Prof. Media software.
- Clicking the “Add Blu-ray/DVD” button will allow you to import the Blu-ray disc from your computer into Leawo Blu-ray Ripper.
- The following three Blu-ray file import options are Full Mode, Main Movie, and Custom Mode. Select a mode to import a Blu-ray movie, add titles as needed, and then click the “OK” button.
Set Output Profile
You may find Edit, Change, and Apply choices in the main interface’s drop-down box, which by default has the title MP4 Video.
- Select the output format by clicking “Change.”
- The “Edit” option on the drop-down menu will select you to the Profile Settings panel, where you may change the video codec, resolution, frame rate, audio codec, and more.
Set Output Directory
- Return to the main screen after selecting the export format and click the big green “Convert” button.
- Specify a directory in the “Save” box on the popup sidebar.
Convert Blu-ray to Video
- To convert Blu-ray to video files, click the Convert button in the bottom right corner.
- Blu-ray Leawo Ripper can rip and convert Blu-ray discs into video files. In the background, work is being done to remove AACS and other disc protection.
- After conversion, you will receive unprotected video files from the source Blu-ray disc, folder, or ISO image file.
- Then, you may use any media player, such as the VLC media player, to view the output video files on your computer.
If you want to use VLC, toss your disc in the Blu-Ray drive and find the movie title.
Solution 2: Leawo Blu-ray Player
Another option as a VLC media player substitute is Leawo Blu-ray Player.
It is the first region-free Blu-ray media player in the world capable of playing back CSS-DVD discs and Blu-ray discs with AACS, BD+, and the most recent MKB protection. It’s a Blu-ray disc player that you can use for nothing.
You only need to insert your disc into your Blu-ray Drive to start.
Play Encrypted Blu-ray Movies with VLC Media Player
Does VLC play Blu-ray movies?
The following error message may appear when you attempt to play a Blu-ray disc on a computer using the VLC media player: “Blu-ray error: The AACS config file did not contain a valid processing key.
No one can open your input. The MRL ‘bluray:/D:/’ cannot be opened by VLC.
Why Won’t VLC Play Blu-ray Disc?
To use VLC Media Player latest version effectively, learn AACS. Cryptography encrypts digital media on Blu-Ray videos to prevent unauthorized access, playback, or copying on a Windows or Mac computer.
It’s this encrypted Blu-Ray disc that stops you from being able to play Blu-Ray disc with VLC.
How to Play Any Blu-ray Disc with VLC on Windows
All you need to do is download and install the latest version of VLC Blu-ray player from the official website if you want to watch encrypted Blu-ray movies on Windows.
Once there, download KEYS DATABASE and AACS DYNAMIC LIBRARY to your computer from the key database page. Ensure you downloaded the correct library version and add these to your new AACS folder inside the Windows C:\program files VLC folder. (Read What Is The Difference Between CCENT And CCNA)
How You Play Encrypted Blu-ray Discs on VLC 3.0
You’ll need two files: keys database and AACS dynamic library.
1. Keys database
- Windows: Copy to C:\ProgramData\aacs\
- Mac OS X: Copy to ~/Library/Preferences/aacs/
- Linux: Copy to ~/.config/aacs/
2. AACS dynamic library
Windows VLC 64-bit: Put the file in your VLC directory.
Mac OS X: put the file in /usr/local/lib/.
Linux: Install the libaacs package with your distribution package manager.