Kodi 20.2 represents the latest stable release for one of the most popular and long-running media center applications available today. In this in-depth guide, we‘ll explore what‘s new in 20.2, who benefits from upgrading, and how to install it on your device.
A Brief History of Kodi Development
First launched in 2002 as Xbox Media Center (XBMC), Kodi got its start on the original Xbox console as a free and open source media player. Over the past 20 years, Kodi has been ported to many platforms and become much more full-featured.
Some key milestones in Kodi‘s development history include:
- 2003 – Changes name to XBMC and adds support for skins and Python scripts.
- 2008 – Rebranded as XBMC and brought to Linux.
- 2014 – XBMC becomes Kodi 14 with a new codebase and interface.
- 2016 – Kodi 17 "Krypton" brings official Android and iOS support.
- 2019 – Kodi 18 "Leia" updates to Python 3 and adds RetroPlayer gaming.
- 2022 – Kodi 20 "Nexus" introduces online repository for addons.
Today, Kodi is maintained by a core team of developers and hundreds of contributors around the world. It‘s completely free and open source software.
There are an estimated 30 million+ active Kodi users as of 2022 based on download stats and surveys. With help from third-party addons and repositories, Kodi provides access to virtually any media content you could want.
Kodi 20.2 – A Look at the Updates
Kodi 20.2 represents an incremental update to the Matrix 20.x release series that debuted in 2020. The main focus is fixing bugs, improving stability, and backporting some new features.
Bug Fixes and Stability Improvements
Several annoying bugs have been squashed in 20.2:
- Resolved crashes and issues with E-AC3 audio playback that some users experienced. This improved surround sound.
- Fixed crashes that could happen when using certain console game system emulators, like Playstation and SNES.
- Addressed instances of Kodi freezing/crashing due to memory exhaustion on Xbox systems.
- Restored the ability to playback HDR videos properly on Windows.
Stability and performance also saw improvements, especially for older Android devices with MediaTek chipsets.
Backported Features and Tweaks
The Kodi team brought some nice new features from the upcoming "Oscar" 21.x release into 20.2:
- Smoother PVR experience – last used group remembered, search fixed.
- Ability to modify media info tags like ratings via Python scripts.
- Building Kodi on newer GCC 13 compilers now works correctly.
- General cross-platform fixes for handling OpenGL libraries better.
These backported updates demonstrate the improvements coming down the pipeline.
Better Addon Support
While not specifically part of 20.2, many of the most popular 3rd party Kodi addons have been updated for compatibility:
- The Crew – A top source for streaming movies and TV shows.
- Venom – Great multi-source scraper for finding media.
- The Oath – Reliable for surfacing media links.
- Tempest – All-in-one option for movies, TV, sports, and more.
And many others have added 20.2 support or are working on updates.
Who Should Upgrade to Kodi 20.2?
Upgrading to Kodi 20.2 is recommended for:
- Users experiencing any of the fixed bugs – audio issues, crashing, etc.
- Xbox gamers who use Kodi for media playback.
- Anyone who uses PVR, HDR, or emulators through Kodi.
- Those wanting a more stable and optimized experience.
- Users ready to leverage new Python scripting capabilities.
If your current Kodi setup is working fine, the 20.2 update is not mandatory. But upgrading is easy enough for most users and brings benefits like stability and addon support.
More casual Kodi users who don‘t rely on many addons may not notice huge changes. Power users and tinkerers will appreciate the backend fixes and features.
Step-by-Step Guide to Upgrading Kodi
The process for installing Kodi 20.2 varies based on your device platform. Here are the step-by-step instructions for popular options:
Open Kodi, go to Settings > System > Updates and select "Check for updates".
Choose Kodi 20.2 when it shows up. The update will download and install automatically.
Restart Kodi once complete. Your library and addons will remain intact.
Fire TV / Fire Stick
Open Downloader app and enter
http://bit.ly/kodi202to install v20.2 APK directly.
Alternatively, use the Troypoint Toolbox which has the latest Kodi version.
Follow prompts to install and open Kodi once complete. Your setup will carry over.
Open Settings > Apps > Kodi > Update option.
Select OK to download the Kodi 20.2 update from Google Play.
Kodi will relaunch once the latest version finishes installing.
Download the 20.2 APK from Kodi.tv.
Install the APK on your device. Choose to overwrite/update when prompted.
Your existing Kodi configuration and addons will remain intact after updating.
For other platforms like Linux, iOS, and macOS – you can find official instructions on the Kodi 20.2 download page.
Important: Always backup your data before any major Kodi upgrade to be safe.
Fixes and Troubleshooting for Kodi 20.2 Issues
Based on user reports, here are some common problems with Kodi 20.2 and how to resolve them:
Addons not working
Check if the addon needs to be updated for Matrix compatibility. Try older versions if available.
Clear the addon cache and restart Kodi.
Perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of the problem addon.
Interface lag or crashing
Upgrade your device hardware if running older low-powered model.
Adjust Kodi settings to disable heavy visual effects.
Clear caches and force close background apps hogging resources.
Failed update installation
Download the desired Kodi 20.2 installer again and retry.
Completely uninstall Kodi first, reboot device, then install 20.2 fresh.
Seek help on Kodi forums or subreddit if issues persist.
Can‘t find Kodi 20.2 update
On older Kodi 18 or 19, you may need to manually install 20.2 APK/package.
Check your Kodi update settings and internet connection.
The Road Ahead for Kodi Development
The Kodi team is already working hard on the next major release – version 21 "Oscar". Some of the planned improvements include:
- Revamped DRM support and inputstream handling.
- Updates to PVR and Live TV functionality.
- Better Python API coverage.
- Improvements for music library management.
Oscar will likely hit Alpha/Nightly builds in mid-2023, followed by a full stable release before year‘s end if the typical schedule holds.
Until then, Kodi 20.2 serves as a quality-of-life upgrade for Matrix users. It demonstrates the project‘s continued momentum and dedication to squashing bugs, boosting performance, and adding useful features with each release.
I hope this guide has given you a comprehensive overview of what‘s new in Kodi 20.2 and who can benefit most from upgrading. While not revolutionary, 20.2 represents a nice iterative update focused on stability and technical improvements under the hood.
Upgrading is relatively quick and painless for most users. Just follow the step-by-step instructions provided above for your device, and your existing Kodi configuration will carry over seamlessly after updating to v20.2.
As always, feel free to reach out with any other questions! I‘m happy to help out fellow Kodi enthusiasts.