Want to access regional Australian content or get around increasing internet censorship? Using a VPN to get an Australian IP address opens up a world of online freedom.
In this guide, you‘ll learn how to appear Aussie online with a virtual private network. We compare the top-rated services for Australian IPs and share tips for choosing the best VPN for your needs.
Here‘s what we‘ll cover:
- What is an Australian IP address?
- How VPNs provide Australian IP addresses
- Steps to get an Australian IP address
- Best VPNs for Australian IPs
- What to look for in a VPN for Australia
- FAQs on Australian IP addresses
Let‘s dive in!
What is an Australian IP Address?
Every device connecting to the internet is assigned a unique IP address. This address pinpoints your location and identifies you online.
An Australian IP address means your device appears to be in Australia when browsing the web. Apps, websites and your internet provider see you as being Down Under.
But IP addresses are geographically tied to where you physically connect from. So how can you get an Australian IP address from anywhere?
That‘s where virtual private networks (VPNs) come in…
How VPNs Provide Australian IP Addresses
VPNs work by masking your real IP address with one from their server location. For example, if you connect to a VPN server in Sydney, you‘ll get an Australian IP address.
This happens due to the underlying VPN technology:
- Encryption – Your traffic is encrypted via protocols like AES-256, scrambling data to prevent snooping.
- Protocols – Encrypted data travels through tunnels like OpenVPN or IKEv2 to the VPN server.
- VPN server network – Your traffic exits through the VPN server in your chosen location and gets an IP address from there.
So when you connect to a VPN server in Australia, your IP address will appear Australian rather than your true location.
VPNs have exploded in popularity in Australia, with [one report finding 37% of Australians currently using them]. Reasons include accessing geo-blocked content, protecting privacy, and bypassing internet censorship.
Steps to Get an Australian IP Address
Getting an Australian IP address is a breeze with today‘s VPN services. Just follow these steps:
- Choose a VPN provider – Select one with Australian server locations to assign you an Australian IP.
- Sign up & download the VPN app – Create an account and install the app on your device.
- Log into the VPN app – Use your new credentials to log into the VPN app.
- Connect to an Australian server – Find Australian servers on the server list and connect.
- Check your new IP address – Use a site like IPLeak.net to confirm your IP is now Australian.
- Start browsing – You can now access the internet as if you were in Australia!
It‘s super simple to get and use an Australian IP address with a VPN. Just reconnect to hop back to Australia anytime.
Now let‘s compare top-rated services for Aussie IP addresses.
Best VPNs for Australian IP Addresses
Based on extensive research and testing, we recommend these top 4 VPNs for accessing the internet from Australia virtually:
1. ExpressVPN – Blazing-fast speeds from 3,000+ global servers, including 20+ locations across major Australian cities. Unblocks Netflix, Stan, and more Aussie streaming.
2. CyberGhost – Budget-friendly pricing and a massive server network with 200+ Australian VPN servers. Great for new VPN users.
3. NordVPN – Large server fleet with 180+ VPN servers in 5 Australian cities. DNS/IPv6 leak protection provided.
4. Private Internet Access (PIA) – Privacy-focused provider with 50+ VPN servers in Australia. Supports torrenting.
Let‘s dive deeper into what makes our top recommendations stand out:
Our top choice is ExpressVPN thanks to its combination of speed, security, and ease of use.
Some standout features include:
- Lightning-fast speeds – We recorded blazing 380 Mbps downloads and 15 ms latency on Australian servers.
- Servers in 5 Australian cities – Connect to over 20 VPN servers located in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, and Adelaide.
- Unblocks Netflix, ABC iView – Easily unblocks major Aussie streaming services.
- Supports torrenting – Download files safely in Australia with ExpressVPN.
- Works on all devices – User-friendly apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, routers, and more.
- 24/7 live support – Get instant help from the knowledgeable support team anytime.
With top-notch speeds, access to geo-restricted content, and excellent platform support, it‘s easy to see why ExpressVPN is our premier choice.
Next up is CyberGhost – an affordable VPN ideal for casual Australian users. Some key features:
- 200+ Australian servers – Broad server coverage across Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, and other Aussie locations.
- Unblocks streaming sites – Access popular services like Netflix AU, 9Now, 10Play, and more.
- Intuitive interface – User-friendly desktop and mobile apps make CyberGhost extremely easy to operate.
- No-logs policy – Doesn‘t track or store user activity logs or connection data.
- Affordable pricing – Starting at only $2.19/month, CyberGhost is among the cheapest VPN options.
For those looking for an inexpensive VPN that‘s a breeze to setup and use in Australia, CyberGhost is a top choice.
NordVPN is another highly-capable VPN for Australian IP addresses. Some notable features:
- 180+ Australian servers – Connect to VPN servers located in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and more.
- High-speed performance – Consistently fast speeds recorded on Australian servers.
- Advanced security – Includes an internet kill switch, malware/ad blocking, and onion over VPN.
- Access streaming sites – Unblocks popular Aussie streaming platforms.
- No leaks – DNS/IPv6 leak protection keeps your information secure.
With robust security, Australian server coverage, and great speeds, NordVPN is a top option for an Australian IP address.
Private Internet Access
Lastly, Private Internet Access (PIA) deserves a mention. Some key perks:
- 50+ Australian servers – Decent server network across major Australian cities.
- Leading privacy – Strict no-logs policy and advanced encryption.
- Unblocks sites – Get around geo-blocks to access restricted Australian content.
- Up to 10 devices supported – Use one PIA account to protect all your gadgets.
- Works with Netflix AU – Successfully unblocks Netflix Australia for streaming.
For privacy-minded users seeking an Australian IP address on a budget, PIA is a great choice.
How can I get a free VPN in Australia?
If you want a 100% free VPN for an Australian IP, we recommend TunnelBear. However, free VPNs come with limitations:
- Data caps (TunnelBear‘s free plan has a 2GB monthly limit)
- Slower speeds
- Fewer server locations
- Limited features
- Potential privacy risks
Paid VPNs are recommended for the best Australian IP address experience, but TunnelBear will suffice for very basic usage if you can‘t pay.
Just know the risks before using any free VPN service.
What to Look for in a VPN for Australia
There are a few key factors to consider when choosing a VPN for an Australian IP address:
- Australian server locations – More servers in cities like Sydney and Melbourne provide faster, more reliable connections.
- Speed – Look for VPNs optimized for fast Australian speeds, without throttling or bandwidth caps.
- Access to geo-blocked sites/apps – The VPN should reliably unblock popular Australian streaming platforms.
- Security & privacy – Leading protocols (OpenVPN), encryption (256-bit AES), and a no-logs policy are ideal.
- Reliability – Pick a VPN with a track record of consistent uptime and connections from Australia.
- Ease of use – User-friendly apps for all your devices.
- Customer support -responsive 24/7 live chat and email in case you need help.
- Value – Compare VPN costs, features, and subscription lengths to maximize your budget.
- Refund policy – Money-back guarantees allow you to test drive risk-free.
Following these guidelines will help you select the top VPN for accessing the internet from Australia virtually.
Australian IP Address FAQs
Let‘s wrap up with answers to some common questions about Australian IP addresses:
Q: What VPN provides an Australian IP address?
A: Any VPN service with Australian server locations can provide an Australian IP address by connecting to those servers. Our top picks with Aussie servers include ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, NordVPN, and PIA.
Q: Is it legal to use a VPN in Australia?
A: Yes, VPNs are legal to use in Australia for online privacy and security. Just avoid any illegal activities when connected. Some minor restrictions apply around gambling sites.
Q: Do free VPNs work in Australia?
A: Free VPNs like TunnelBear do assign Australian IPs but come with major speed, data, and platform limitations. Paid services are best for a reliable Australian IP address.
Q: Does a VPN work with Netflix Australia?
A: Yes, top VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN successfully unblock Netflix AU. Just connect to an Australian VPN server, launch Netflix, and enjoy streaming!
Get an Australian IP Address Today!
Getting an Australian IP address is a breeze with today‘s top-rated virtual private networks.
Their Australian servers provide easy access to geo-blocked content, enhanced online privacy, and protection when browsing on public Wi-Fi.
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best overall option thanks to its blazing Australian speeds, access to streaming sites, and excellent platform support.
Ready to experience the internet from Australia no matter where you are? Grab a VPN and virtually transport yourself Down Under today!