Over the past few years, there’s been a steady increase in the numbers of VPN users, and these numbers show no signs of reducing.
It doesn’t matter the reason why users want them, yet these VPN’s do offer lots of online protection, even if it is just watching the latest smash on Netflix why they opted for a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection.
Windows 10 is the number one operating system around the world. One of the newer features is the ability for the computer to connect directly to a VPN.
However, there are a couple of issues doing this, and here you can find out how to turn off VPN connection and remove it if you no longer wish that one and prefer a proper VPN client to use on your internet connection.
Does Windows 10 Have a Built in VPN?
You may have heard it and wonder what is VPN Windows 10. Windows 10 has a VPN, or at least it can function and connect to a VPN service you subscribe.
Here you can see how to set up VPN Windows 10 because you do need to know this before you can learn how to disconnect VPN.
Creating Profile for VPN Win10
- Select the Start Button – Settings – Network& Internet – VPN, then Add a VPN Connection
- Select Windows Built In for VPN Provider
- In Connection Box, type a name you will remember
- In the Server Name or Address box, enter the address for the VPN server
- In the VPN Type box, select the type of VPN connection
- In the type of sign-in info, choose the kind of information your VPN uses and then enter your details
- Select Save
Connecting to VPN on Win 10
- Select the Network icon in the taskbar
- Right Click on the VPN connection you wish to use
- If asked, enter your login details
Once you know how setup VPN Windows 10, you can see the best ways you can disable it should you want to, and find the right VPN client to make your network, internet connections easier.
How Do I Turn Off VPN On My Laptop?
If you have the VPN enabled on a laptop, you can click on the network taskbar icon and click on disconnect under the VPN you are connected to. Alternatively, you can follow these other instructions to
- Open the Control Panel
- Open Network Connections
- Here is a list of VPN connections on your laptop
- Select the VPN you wish to disable (highlight the VPN icon)
- Click “Change settings of this connection” in the Network Tasks list
- Head to the Network Connections network tab and click Uninstall
- Press Yes to confirm you wish to remove the VPN
How Do You Turn Off VPN on Computer?
One of the issues with using the Windows 10 virtual private network VPN connection is you don’t have as much flexibility with your VPN client.
Also, if you change VPN providers? You can remove a VPN in seconds, and if you want to add another Windows 10 VPN connection, you can do so just as quickly.
While it can still be a little awkward for some users to manually make a VPN connection in Windows 10, for those who do so, it is much easier to remove a VPN without diving too far into the settings.
If you want to remove a VPN connection, use these steps to remove, and then you are free to add your chosen VPN client.
Removing Your Windows 10 Manual VPN Connection
- Right-click on the start menu
- Launch the Settings app from the menu
- Click the Internet & Network button
- Select the VPN option in the left-hand menu
- To the right, select the VPN connection you want to disable
- Click disconnect if wish to disconnect, or Click Remove a VPN if you wish to delete it
It can be helpful having Microsoft Windows 10 have the ability to connect to a VPN directly. However, there is little reason to protect your internet connection this way when you can use a premium VPN provider’s client software.
With these, you have easy access to any features you wish to use. Once you have these clients running on your computer, you can remove a VPN with just the click of the uninstall button to remove it.
However, once you choose the number one VPN that covers all your needs, you won’t remove a VPN like this for a while, as there won’t be much reason to remove it from your Windows computer. You might upgrade, yet to remove it, that won’t be an option.