Do you want to access the internet like a local in Germany? Getting a German IP address is the key.
With a German IP, you can unlock geo-restricted content, avoid throttling by German ISPs, and maintain privacy online.
In this guide, I‘ll explain exactly how to get and use a German IP address using a VPN or other methods. I‘ll also answer common questions to help you stay safe and legal when browsing German sites and streaming.
Let‘s get started!
What is a German IP Address?
First, it helps to understand what an IP address is.
An IP address is a unique series of numbers assigned to every device connected to the internet. It allows sites to identify your device and location.
For example, a German IP address will start with numbers like 82.165 that specify the country as Germany.
When you visit a website with a German IP, that site believes you are located in Germany and will allow access to Germany-only content.
Why Get a German IP Address?
Here are some of the top reasons you may want a German IP address:
1. Access Geo-restricted Content
Many streaming sites and services restrict content based on location. With a German IP, you can access:
- Netflix Germany – Get thousands of shows and movies not on other Netflix regions. Germany has one of the largest Netflix libraries.
- Amazon Prime Video – View Germany-exclusive Amazon Original series and shows.
- DAZN – Watch live German sports including Bundesliga soccer. Unavailable outside Germany and Austria.
- Joyn – Huge selection of German TV series, shows, and Joyn Originals.
- Sky Ticket – German version of Sky with top soccer, Formula One racing, blockbusters and Sky exclusives.
And much more! A German IP lets you view all the internet has to offer as if you were in Germany.
2. Avoid Throttling and Blocks
Some German internet providers throttle traffic from sites like Netflix and block access to torrents.
With a German IP, your traffic appears local, allowing you to bypass throttling and access blocked content. German IPs are especially useful for P2P filesharing.
3. Enhanced Privacy
Germany has some of the strictest data protection laws in the world. German sites are less likely to track your activity without consent compared to other regions.
Connecting through a German server adds an extra layer of privacy when browsing the web. Your data goes through Germany first before reaching the rest of the internet.
4. Bypass Filters and Censorship
Some authoritarian countries block access to parts of the internet. Using a German IP allows you to bypass censorship and access everything freely.
5. Appear Local in Germany
When traveling in Germany, a German IP helps you access local sites and apps just like a resident. It‘s especially useful for booking local travel deals or using Germany-only services.
Now that you know why you need one, let‘s look at the best ways to get a German IP address.
Method #1: Use a VPN (Recommended)
A virtual private network (VPN) is by far the best way to get and use a German IP address.
Here‘s a step-by-step guide to using a VPN for a German IP:
Choose a Reliable VPN Provider
Look for a VPN that offers servers in Germany and can reliably unblock geo-restricted sites. I recommend:
- ExpressVPN – 3,000+ servers in 94 countries including multiple German locations. Fast speeds and easy to use.
- NordVPN – 5,600+ worldwide servers. User-friendly apps and good speeds.
- CyberGhost – 7,400+ servers across over 90 countries. Great value and streaming-optimized servers.
Other top options include Surfshark, Private Internet Access, and ProtonVPN. Make sure to choose a paid VPN, as free ones are slower and unreliable.
Download and Install the VPN App
Once signed up, download and install your VPN‘s app on any device you want to use:
- Desktop app for Windows, Mac, Linux
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox etc.
- TV apps for Apple TV, Firestick, Android TV
- Gaming console apps for Xbox, PlayStation
Most VPNs make it easy to set up the apps and connect.
Connect to a German VPN Server
Launch the VPN app and select a server located in Germany. There will be a city list to choose from:[Image showing sample list of German VPN servers]
The closest server is best, but you can pick any city in Germany to become "virtual German" residents.
Confirm Your New German IP
Check that your IP address is now German using a site like IPLocation.net.
As long as your VPN is running, all your internet traffic will now flow through Germany first before reaching the global internet.
Why VPNs Are the Best Way to Get a German IP
VPNs are the gold standard for changing IP addresses, and here‘s why:
- Works on all devices – One VPN account protects everything from PCs to phones.
- Access all sites – VPNs have the power to unblock any geo-restricted streaming site or service.
- Encrypts data – VPNs keep your browsing activity private and secure.
- Unlimited bandwidth – No caps or limits on VPN usage like some free methods.
- Fast speeds – The best VPNs offer high speeds perfect for HD streaming.
- User-friendly – VPN apps are very simple to set up and use on any platform.
While free options exist, I strongly recommend using a premium VPN for the most secure and seamless German IP experience.
Method #2: Use Tor Browser
The Tor network is a free option for getting a German IP address.
Tor works by routing your traffic randomly through relays operated by volunteers worldwide. This protects your privacy and hides your real location.
To use Tor for a German IP:
- Download the Tor Browser from torproject.org.
- Once open, click the green onion icon and select ‘New Identity‘
- Keep selecting New Identity until you get an IP that starts with numbers like 82.165, 109.235, etc, indicating a German IP.
However, there are some downsides to Tor:
- Very slow connection speeds. Not viable for streaming.
- You don‘t get to choose your new IP address. It‘s assigned randomly.
- Website bugs due to Tor encryption can break pages.
For basic private browsing Tor works, but a VPN is significantly faster and more reliable overall.
Method #3: Use a Proxy Server
A proxy server acts as a middleman when you access the web:
- You connect to the proxy server instead of sites directly.
- The proxy forwards your traffic to the site.
- The site sees the proxy‘s IP instead of your real one.
Some free public proxy servers are based in Germany. To use one:
- Search for lists of German proxy servers. FreeProxyLists has some.
- Configure your browser/device to route traffic through one of the German proxies.
- Test to confirm your IP is German.
Proxy servers can change your IP but are slower, less secure, and could expose your data. Stick to VPNs for privacy.
Paid vs. Free VPNs
While free VPNs technically can provide a German IP address, they come with severe downsides:
- Very limited servers – Most free VPNs only have 1-2 locations, rarely including Germany.
- Slow speeds – Free VPNs can‘t afford high-end servers, resulting in a slow browsing experience. Streaming quality will suffer.
- Data limits – Free plans impose caps like 2GB/month. With paid VPNs you get unlimited data.
- No encryption – Free VPNs often lack standard encryption protocols like AES-256 or OpenVPN.
- More ads – Expect to deal with constant ads asking you to upgrade to paid.
- Unreliable connections – Server congestion and downtime interrupts free VPN access.
- No customer support – Most free VPNs offer little to no tech support if you have issues.
- Risk of data harvesting – Many free VPNs make money by collecting and selling your usage data.
Premium VPNs avoid all the above headaches. The small investment is well worth it for a fast, unlimited, and truly private German IP experience.
The Legality of VPNs in Germany
A common question is whether using a VPN is legal in Germany. The answer is yes – VPNs are completely legal to use in Germany.
There are no laws that prohibit or restrict VPN usage within Germany. In fact, many Germans use VPNs regularly for activities like:
- Accessing region-blocked content
- Encrypting traffic on public WiFi
- Torrenting securely
- Bypassing filters at school or work
Per German computer security company G Data, 34% of Germans use VPNs today, and that number is rising.
The only illegal usage would be committing an already illegal act through a VPN – for example downloading copyrighted content without permission or accessing dark web sites promoting criminal activities.
But otherwise, German authorities do not target or punish people simply for using a VPN itself. It is 100% legal to use a VPN for streaming or other everyday browsing.
Some key factors that make VPN use legal in Germany:
- No mandatory data retention laws – Germany does not force ISPs or VPNs to log customer internet activity and hand it over on request.
- Strong privacy laws – Germany has very strict privacy laws that align with VPN use. For example, GDPR gives users control over their data.
- No censorship – The government does not impose filters or firewalls that would interfere with VPN traffic.
- No content licensing restrictions – Unlike regions like Australia, Germany does not explicitly ban VPN use for streaming.
So feel free to use your VPN without worry as long as you aren‘t doing anything blatantly illegal!
Streaming Services You Can Access with a German IP
One of the biggest perks of a German IP address is unlocking geo-restricted streaming content.
Here are just some of the popular streaming platforms you can access:
Netflix Germany has a unique library with many exclusives:
- Popular shows like Breaking Bad, The Office, and How I Met Your Mother
- Cult German series like Dark, Barbarians, and Dogs of Berlin
- Stand-up comedy specials
- Classic films and recent blockbuster movies
- Netflix Originals available earlier than other regions
According to Netflix catalog tracker FlixWatch, Germany has over 4,000 titles available – much more than other regions like the UK or Australia.
Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime in Germany gives you:
- Access to titles included with Prime membership that aren‘t available elsewhere like The Grand Tour and Star Trek: Picard
- Germany-only Amazon Original series such as Deutschland 89, Beat, and One Mic Stand
- Popular US movies and shows missing from other Prime regions
Germany is also one of the cheapest countries for Prime at just €69/year.
DAZN is a sports streaming service with extensive football coverage that‘s only available in Germany and Austria.
With DAZN DE, you can stream:
- Bundesliga – entire seasons of German first and second league football
- UEFA Champions League – live and on-demand matches
- NFL, NBA, MLB, and more US sports
- Boxing, MMA, darts, cycling and other events
Football fans won‘t want to miss out on Bundesliga action!
Joyn offers a library of German TV series, shows, soaps, documentaries and films.
Some top titles are:
- Exclusive Joyn Originals like Das Internat and Katakomben
- Popular soaps like Rote Rosen and Sturm der Liebe with new episodes daily
- Reality dating shows like M.O.M and Love Island
- Cult classics like Stromberg and Pastewka
- Docuseries covering true crime, sports, food and more
With a German IP, you can stream Joyn for free with ads or subscribe to Joyn+ for ad-free viewing.
And many more services! Sky Ticket, Magenta TV, Apple TV+, Hayu…a German IP unlocks unlimited streaming options.
FAQ About Getting a German IP Address
Which VPN should I choose for a German IP?
I recommend ExpressVPN as the overall best VPN for German IPs. It offers 160+ VPN servers across 24 locations in Germany such as Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich and more. The speeds are blazing fast and it reliably unblocks all major streaming sites.
NordVPN and CyberGhost are also excellent choices with lots of German servers and great performance.
Do free VPNs work to change your IP to Germany?
You‘re best avoiding free VPNs if you want to actually use your German IP for streaming or torrenting. Most free VPNs can‘t reliably unblock sites, have very few server choices, and impose annoying data caps.
A paid option like ExpressVPN or NordVPN will give you the speed and unlimited data to make the most of your German IP.
Is it safe to use a VPN in Germany?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to use a VPN in Germany. As discussed earlier, VPNs are 100% legal in Germany and popular for privacy protection. As long as you use a trustworthy provider, a VPN poses no risks.
A top-tier VPN will shield your data with AES 256-bit encryption, have a strict no-logs policy, and features like a kill switch to prevent any data leaks. This keeps you secure while browsing with your virtual German IP.
Can I watch US Netflix with a German IP?
Unfortunately no – since Netflix bases its library on your account region, a German IP won‘t unlock US Netflix by itself. You would need a VPN with US servers to access American Netflix from Germany.
The same goes for other country-specific sites like Hulu or BBC iPlayer which depend on your account‘s registered country. A VPN gives you the flexibility to switch locations easily.
How do I get a German IP on my iPhone?
It‘s super easy to get a German IP on iPhone:
- Sign up for a VPN like ExpressVPN or NordVPN
- Download the VPN‘s iOS app from the App Store
- Open Settings > VPN and make sure VPN is enabled
- Connect to a German server in the VPN app
And that‘s it! You‘ll now show as having a German IP on your iPhone, whether on WiFi or mobile data.
Get Your German IP Address Today!
Accessing the best of the internet is at your fingertips with a German IP address.
The easiest and most secure way to get a German IP is using a premium VPN service like ExpressVPN. Simply connect to a German VPN server and you can unblock geo-restricted content, protect your browsing, and experience the internet like a local.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up for a top-rated VPN now and unlock a world of German movies, shows, sports, and more with just a few clicks!
Viel spaß mit deiner neue deutsche IP-Adresse!