Are you an Edge user looking to take control of your online experience? Installing an ad blocker is an easy way to remove intrusive ads, speed up web browsing, and protect your privacy.
But with so many options to choose from, how do you know which ad blocker works best with Microsoft Edge specifically?
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll compare the top-rated ad blockers for Edge in 2023 to help you decide:
- uBlock Origin – Best for customization
- AdBlock Plus – Best for beginners
- Ghostery – Best for privacy
You‘ll also learn:
- Why ad blocking is important for your browsing experience
- How popular ad blockers work in Edge
- Key factors to consider when choosing an ad blocker
- Answers to frequently asked questions
By the end, you’ll have all the information you need to choose the right ad blocking extension and take full control over the ads you see in Microsoft Edge.
Why Ad Blockers Are Important for Edge
Before jumping into the top ad blockers, let‘s first look at why removing intrusive ads can profoundly improve your experience using Edge:
- Speeds up web browsing – Research by PageFair found that the average webpage loads 4.4 seconds faster with an ad blocker enabled. By removing resource-heavy ads, pages render faster.
- Saves mobile data – Experts estimate that ads consume over 10% of average monthly mobile data. Blocking them reduces this data usage.
- Blocks malware – Ad networks can unknowingly spread malware through contaminated third-party ads. Ad blockers halt these threats.
- Prevents irritating ads – A study by Hubspot showed that pop-up and auto-playing video ads are the most hated ad types by users. Ad blockers banish these disruptions.
- Reduces digital clutter – On average, websites now contain over 15 display ads per page, making it hard to focus on content. Ad blockers declutter pages.
- Protects privacy – Many ads use tracking scripts to gather data on your web activity and interests. Ad blockers shut down this sneaky tracking for greater privacy.
Research clearly shows that excessive advertising online has made the web frustratingly cluttered, slow, invasive, and vulnerable to malware.
By installing a trusted ad blocker in your Edge browser, you can eliminate these pain points for smoother, faster, and safer browsing.
The 3 Best Ad Blockers for Microsoft Edge in 2023
Now that you understand the benefits, let‘s dig into the top ad blocking options for Edge users:
1. uBlock Origin – Best for Customization
With over 10 million active installs, open-source uBlock Origin is beloved by users who want maximum control over what gets blocked in their browser.
- Open-source ad blocker with no proprietary code
- Blocks a wide array of ads, trackers, and malware scripts
- Easy to customize using filter lists and extra blocker options
- Uses minimal system resources thanks to efficient C/C++ code
- Available completely free for all major browsers
Right out of the box, uBlock Origin will block pop-ups, banners, sidebar ads, and pre-roll video commercials on any site you visit.
Unlike some ad blockers, it won‘t automatically allow "acceptable" ads from approved networks either. This results in a blissfully ad-free web browsing experience with no intrusions.
But where uBlock Origin really shines is customizability. Through the dashboard, you can fine-tune its blocking behavior down to a granular level.
For example, you can easily whitelist specific sites or ads you want to permit. This allows ads only on sites you trust while blocking everything else. Advanced users can also create custom filter lists using coding syntax to block very precise elements.
These uBlock Origin settings offer maximum flexibility:
- Whitelist – Manually allow specific sites/ads
- Filter lists – Block ads, trackers, malware, annoyances, etc based on crowdsourced lists
- Element picker – Block just certain elements of a page
- Pop-up blocker – Stop pop-ups from opening
For Edge users who desire complete control over what gets blocked, uBlock Origin is the best ad blocker available thanks to unparalleled customizability. And it achieves all this using minimal system resources so it won‘t slow down your browsing.
- Total flexibility to fine-tune ad blocking behavior
- Open-source code with no proprietary elements
- Very lightweight extension with efficient processes
- Available completely free for all browsers
- Advanced customization features have a learning curve
- Requires more tweaking compared to set-it-and-forget-it ad blockers
- Strict default blocking may break some sites
Get uBlock Origin for Microsoft Edge
2. AdBlock Plus – Best for Beginners
With over 500 million downloads worldwide, Germany-based AdBlock Plus is the most widely used ad blocking extension globally. It offers streamlined ad blocking tailored for beginners.
- Easy one-click install and auto-blocks common ad types
- Allows some non-intrusive ads by default on whitelist
- Straightforward dashboard interface for beginners
- Backed by a large team of developers
- Available for all major desktop and mobile browsers
Once installed, AdBlock Plus will automatically block video ads, pop-ups, banner ads, and other intrusive ad formats. You don‘t have to adjust any settings – it works immediately to remove ads from sites out of the box.
Their approach aims to balance usability and functionality. To avoid inadvertently breaking sites, AdBlock Plus whitelists some "acceptable" static display ads by default. But you can disable this whitelist or manually block specific ads that get through.
The streamlined interface also makes it easy for novices to use. Options are presented in simple menus and toggles instead of dense technical menus. This simplicity helps less tech-savvy users enjoy an ad-free Edge experience.
For Edge users seeking a hassle-free option that starts working instantly with no configuration, AdBlock Plus is a foolproof choice loved by millions globally.
- Dead simple installation and setup
- Allows some harmless ads by default to avoid site breakage
- User-friendly interface perfect for ad blocking beginners
- Backed by a dedicated development team
- Lacks advanced customization options
- Permissible "acceptable" ads controversial for some users
- Slower total ad blocking compared to stringent blockers
Get AdBlock Plus for Microsoft Edge
3. Ghostery – Best for Privacy
Going beyond just blocking ads, Ghostery offers robust anti-tracking protection to block web scripts that follow you across the internet. This makes it the privacy-focused choice.
- Blocks advertising and tracking scripts for privacy
- Scans pages to reveal all embedded trackers
- Customizable ad/tracker blocking strength
- Constantly updated database identifies trackers
- Browser extensions plus iOS/Android apps available
Ghostery pioneered enhanced tracker insight by scanning web pages to identify all embedded scripts seeking your data. Their ever-growing database contains over 3,500 known tracking scripts.
Beyond blocking ads, Ghostery shuts down sneaky trackers lurking on websites that compile data on your interests, browsing history, and online activity. This prevents companies from building detailed behavior profiles on you.
Within Ghostery‘s dashboard, you can also customize filtering settings to your comfort level:
- Block Trackers – Toggle blocking of web tracking scripts
- Block Ads – Toggle blocking of ads/analytics scripts
- Block Malware – Toggle blocking of malicious scripts
- Enhanced Blocking – Blocks web bugs, session replay, and more
For privacy-focused Edge users who want to control their online data exposure, Ghostery offers unparalleled insight into hidden web trackers. No other ad blocker identifies and blocks such a wide spectrum of hidden threats.
- Unmatched tracker identification abilities
- Constantly updated database of known tracking scripts
- Detailed custom controls for ad and tracker blocking
- Blocks widest range of tracking techniques
- Can slow browsing by scanning each page fully
- Not as beginner-friendly as basic ad blockers
- May break sites that rely heavily on trackers
Get Ghostery for Microsoft Edge
Top Ad Blockers for Microsoft Edge Compared
|uBlock Origin||AdBlock Plus||Ghostery|
|Free version available||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Premium pricing||Free only||$3.99/mo||$4.99/mo|
|Ease of use||★★☆☆☆||★★★★★||★★☆☆☆|
|Ad blocking strength||★★★★☆||★★★☆☆||★★★☆☆|
|Site breakage risk||★★☆☆☆||★★★☆☆||★★☆☆☆|
Choosing the Right Ad Blocker for You
All three of these ad blockers will significantly enhance your experience using Edge. But how do you decide?
Here are a few key factors to consider when choosing an ad blocker for your needs:
- Your tech comfort level – Beginners may prefer AdBlock Plus, while uBlock Origin has more advanced options
- Importance of privacy – Ghostery offers the best anti-tracking protections
- Tolerance for ads – Some ad blockers are more heavy-handed than others
- Need for custom filters – uBlock Origin has the most flexibility for power users
- Mobile usage – Check that the ad blocker supports mobile browsers too
- Acceptable ads – Some allow "non-intrusive" ads whitelisted by default
Analyze your specific priorities as an Edge user and match them to the ad blocker with suitable strengths.
For example, if you‘re a total beginner who just wants ads gone with one click, AdBlock Plus is a great match. But if you care about privacy and want to see what trackers are following you, Ghostery is a better fit.
Block ads in Microsoft Edge while protecting your privacy with the right ad blocker for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have some questions about using an ad blocker with Microsoft Edge? These answers should help:
Are ad blockers safe to use in Edge?
Yes, leading ad blockers from established developers are perfectly safe browser extensions for Edge. They only filter content and do not access any private data.
Will an ad blocker slow down my Edge browsing?
No, in fact it will likely speed up your browsing. By removing heavy ads, ad blockers reduce page load times by 4.4 seconds on average according to research.
Can I use an ad blocker on Edge mobile app?
Yes, most ad blockers like uBlock Origin and Ghostery are available for both desktop and mobile versions of Edge. Some ad blocking privacy browsers like Brave also include built-in blocking.
What are the risks of completely removing all ads?
Aggressively blocking all ads could break functionality on sites relying on ad revenue and lead to more paywalls. Most ad blockers let you customize settings, so you can find a balance.
Can I whitelist sites or ads I want to support?
Yes, all of the top ad blockers for Edge allow whitelisting specific sites or ads you deem acceptable. You can also disable blocking on sites you trust completely.
How often are ad blocker filters updated?
It depends on the ad blocker, but most use crowdsourced filter lists that are updated multiple times per day as contributors flag new ads and threats. For example, Ghostery updates its tracker database daily.
The Bottom Line
Here are our experts‘ top recommendations one more time:
- uBlock Origin – Best for maximum configuration options and blocking control
- AdBlock Plus – Best for beginners who want hassle-free ad blocking
- Ghostery – Best for prioritizing privacy by blocking hidden trackers
All three of these trusted ad blocking extensions will vastly improve your browsing experience in Microsoft Edge. We hope this guide gave you the insights needed to choose the right solution for your needs and preferences as an Edge user.
Say goodbye to disruptive ads and hello to smoother, faster internet browsing! Your web surfing should always be in your control – with the best ad blocker installed, now it can be.