Protecting your devices from the latest cybersecurity threats is crucial in today‘s digital world. Two popular options for antivirus software are Avast and Malwarebytes, but is one better than the other? This in-depth comparison of Avast vs Malwarebytes will help you decide which antivirus is right for you.
Avast vs Malwarebytes: At a Glance
Avast offers more robust security features, while Malwarebytes provides solid protection at a more budget-friendly price point. Here‘s a quick rundown of how they compare:
- Avast – Offers more security features like a firewall, VPN, data breach alerts, and network inspector. Wide device compatibility and perfect third-party test scores. Pricing starts at $50.28/year.
- Malwarebytes – More limited on features but costs less. Pricing starts at $44.99/year. Very good malware protection but not as high of test scores as Avast.
|Avast (Our Pick)||Malwarebytes|
|Security Features||Firewall, VPN, data breach alerts, network inspector||No firewall or many bonus features|
|Test Scores||Perfect 18/18 on Windows, Android, MacOS||17/18 on Windows|
|Number of Devices||Up to 30||Up to 10|
|Customer Service||Phone, email, forums, online guides||Email, online guides|
Avast vs Malwarebytes: Pricing Compared
When looking at cost, Avast provides more value and flexibility:
|Number of Plans||4 plans||2 plans|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days||60 days|
|Best Value||Avast One Family $69.48/year for 5 devices||Premium $55.99/year for 3 devices|
Avast offers four different plans at competitive pricing, making it easy to find the right fit. The Avast One Family plan provides protection for 5 devices at $69.48/year, an excellent value.
Malwarebytes only has two plans to choose from, but its lower pricing may appeal if you‘re looking for a basic budget option. The Premium plan starts at $55.99/year for 3 devices.
Avast Provides More Robust Security Features
When comparing the security features included in Avast vs Malwarebytes, Avast has a clear advantage:
|VPN||Yes||Only with top-tier plan|
|Data Breach Alerts||Yes||No|
- Avast includes a firewall for Windows users, whereas Malwarebytes does not.
- Avast provides a VPN with all plans, but Malwarebytes only includes it in the top-tier option.
- Handy extras like data breach alerts, network inspector, webcam protection come with Avast.
- Malwarebytes does offer an ad blocker, one of the few bonus features beyond core antivirus.
Avast simply provides more robust security tools and features, making it the winner in this category.
Avast Excels in Independent Lab Testing
Third-party testing from outlets like AV-Test evaluate how well antivirus software detects and protects against the latest threats. Here are the latest results:
|Avast (Our Pick)||Malwarebytes|
Avast received flawless results in testing across all platforms. It provided full protection against zero-day malware attacks.
Malwarebytes was only tested on Windows, where it scored 17/18, missing some zero-day malware. But without scores for MacOS and Android, it‘s hard to fully judge effectiveness.
Avast Offers Wider Compatibility
Avast supports more platforms and browsers than Malwarebytes:
|Platforms||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS|
|Browser Extensions||Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Avast‘s Secure Browser||Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari|
Both have the basics covered for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android compatibility. But Avast offers browser extensions on more browsers.
Avast Customer Service Options
Avast provides more and better ways to get customer service and help compared to Malwarebytes:
|User Community Forums||Yes||No|
Phone support and active community forums give Avast the edge in customer service. Malwarebytes only offers email ticket support and online product guides.
Avast vs Malwarebytes: Which is Better in 2023?
When comparing these two antivirus heavyweights, Avast emerges on top in 2023:
- Avast gives you more robust security features, including extras like a VPN, firewall, webcam protection, data breach alerts, and network inspector.
- Independent testing shows Avast provides stronger protection across Windows, MacOS, and Android.
- Avast has more flexible pricing while still being budget-friendly, starting at $50.28/year
- Wider platform and browser compatibility makes Avast more versatile.
- Customer service options like phone support and community forums are useful.
Malwarebytes is still a decent option for basic antivirus protection on a budget. But Avast offers superior security, features, and service overall.
For the best protection across your devices, Avast is the clear winner in 2023.
FAQs: Avast vs Malwarebytes
Do I need both Malwarebytes and Avast?
No, you do not need to run two antivirus programs simultaneously. This could potentially use up system resources and slow down your device. Avast on its own provides excellent protection.
Which antivirus is better than Avast?
In our testing, no other antivirus software consistently surpasses Avast in terms of balanced pricing, security features, malware detection, and service. Avast remains a top-tier choice in 2023.
Can Avast detect all viruses?
Avast uses a variety of advanced techniques for detecting viruses, malware, ransomware, phishing scams, and other threats. Their layered approach to security ensures comprehensive protection against even brand new threats. Independent testing confirms Avast detects virtually 100% of viruses.
The Bottom Line
Avast outshines Malwarebytes in pricing, features, compatibility, test results, and service. While Malwarebytes is a decent basic option, Avast offers the most robust all-around protection and value. For antivirus you can rely on across all your devices, Avast is our top recommendation for 2023.