Do you want access to a massive library of podcasts directly within the Kodi media center? With the Apple iTunes Podcasts addon, you can browse, subscribe, and stream thousands of podcast shows and episodes right on your Kodi device.
In this detailed guide, I‘ll provide everything you need to know to get the Apple iTunes Podcasts addon installed and working flawlessly. Let‘s dive in!
Overview of the Apple iTunes Podcasts Kodi Addon
The Apple iTunes Podcasts addon brings the entire iTunes podcast library into the Kodi ecosystem. iTunes offers over 900,000 different podcasts spanning every imaginable genre, from comedy to history to sports. It really is the most comprehensive podcast platform available.
Here are some of the key benefits of using the Apple iTunes Podcasts Kodi addon:
- Access over 900,000 podcasts for free – more content than any other podcast addon
- Intuitive browsing by category, genre, top charts, new releases, and more
- Easily subscribe to podcasts to receive new episodes automatically
- Stream episodes directly or download for offline listening
- Supports continuous playback queueing episodes from the same podcast
- Manage subscriptions and queue settings from within the addon
- Automatic updates when new episodes of subscribed podcasts are released
According to a 2022 Infinite Dial study, over 80 million Americans listen to podcasts monthly. And that number continues to grow rapidly every year. With this official iTunes addon, Kodi becomes the perfect centralized hub for finding, managing, and listening to podcasts.
Step-by-Step Installation Guide
Getting the Apple iTunes Podcasts addon installed and working in Kodi only takes a few quick steps:
- Launch Kodi and hover over the Settings icon in the top left corner
- Scroll down and select "File Manager" from the side menu
- Click on "Add Source" and enter
https://repo.kodi.tv/as the path
- Give the source the name "Kodi Repo"
- Return to the Kodi home screen and open Settings again
- Click on "Add-ons"
- Choose "Install from zip file"
- Select "Kodi Repo" and click on
- Wait for the popup confirming that the Kodi repository is enabled
- Go back to Add-ons and this time click "Install from repository"
- Select the "Kodi Repository"
- Navigate to the "Video add-ons" section
- Find "Apple iTunes Podcasts" and click the Install button
Once installed, the Apple iTunes Podcasts icon will appear in the main Add-ons menu. Take some time to explore the different categories and find a few good podcasts to subscribe to.
Possible Error Messages During Installation
If Kodi gives you an error when trying to install the addon, here are some steps to resolve common problems:
- Make sure you entered the path
https://repo.kodi.tv/exactly right when adding the repo source
- Check that you named the source "Kodi Repo" – this needs to match the path name
- Try re-installing the Kodi Repo zip file from within File Manager
- Disable/enable the Kodi Repo add-on under Install from repository
- Fully close and restart the Kodi application
- As a last resort, completely uninstall and reinstall Kodi itself
Comparison to Other Podcast Addons for Kodi
There are a few other podcast addons available for Kodi, like Podcatcher and CastagnaIT Podcast Player. However, the Apple iTunes Podcasts addon has some major advantages:
- Larger podcast library – over 900,000 shows vs around 200,000 maximum for other addons
- Much more reliable and faster streaming and downloading
- Better integration for managing subscriptions within Kodi
- Automatic updates for new episodes
Unless you need access to some very obscure podcast, the official Apple iTunes addon is superior in pretty much every way.
Top Podcasts Available via the Apple iTunes Addon
The Apple iTunes podcast library is truly massive and includes all of the most popular shows. Here are just a few of the top podcasts you can subscribe to:
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- Crime Junkie
- Stuff You Should Know
- The Daily
- Pod Save America
- 2 Bears, 1 Cave with Tom Segura & Bert Kreischer
- Call Her Daddy
- Planet Money
- Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard
- Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain
You‘ll also find podcasts from major media brands like NPR, ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, HBO, and more.
Tips for Customizing the Apple iTunes Podcasts Addon
Here are some tips for customizing and optimizing the Apple iTunes Podcasts Kodi addon to suit your preferences:
- Use the context menu on podcast episodes for options like Play From Here, Queue Item, and more
- Re-arrange the podcast categories under Addon Settings for easier access to your favorites
- Adjust the subscription settings under My Podcasts to control how many old episodes are kept
- Set notifications for new episodes under Account so you never miss a release
- Reduce addon timeout under Account if you notice episodes failing to play
- Add individual episodes or whole podcasts to your Kodi favorites for quick access
Take some time to dive into all the settings options. Kodi is highly customizable, so tweak things to best suit your personal preferences.
How to Troubleshoot Issues with the Apple iTunes Podcasts Addon
Hopefully you don‘t run into any problems, but here are some troubleshooting steps if the Apple iTunes Podcasts addon isn‘t working properly:
- Make sure Kodi and all addons are fully updated
- Try re-installing the addon from zip and re-enter your login info
- Clear addon cache under Addon Settings to clear out corrupt data
- Adjust DNS settings to use Google DNS or Cloudflare for faster speeds
- Disable any VPN or proxy services that may be interfering with connectivity
- As a last resort, do a fresh install of Kodi after backing up your data
With hundreds of millions of active listeners, podcasts are more popular than ever before. The Apple iTunes Podcasts addon brings the very best podcast experience right to your Kodi home theater setup. It‘s easy to install and provides unlimited access to top shows. So get out there and expand your podcast horizons!